HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   NAP Thunderhead 125's ?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/390336-nap-thunderhead-125s.html)

daddus1 03-14-2014 11:42 AM

NAP Thunderhead 125's ??

Just can't seem to sit still so I guess I'm going to switch from mechanicals to fixed. Murphys law states that if things can go wrong they will go wrong and at absolutely the worst possible
moment. Therefore off runs the buck of a lifetime when the mechanical blade decided not to function correctly.
At least I will have eliminated one possible problem, but hey I can have my leg stiched up, it will heal.LOL
No really just trying to see if there are any other fixed options that those of you have used. All input welcome!
Thanks,
daddus

Mojotex 03-19-2014 02:09 PM

I used the Thunderheads 125's for a whole lot of years when I was hunting with a compound. I switched to a X-Bow several years ago after a shoulder injury did not heal well. I used the Thunderheads for two seasons with excellent results. I switched to a Montec , one piece, 3-blade 125 gr. simply because I received a couple of packs as a gift about the time I was low on Thunderhead blades. These work great too. Never have failed to have a good blood trail except on one longer shot that did not fully pass through. Recovery was still qucikly done using my tracking pooch.

Last season, one trip down, I forgot my archery box at home and was stuck at camp with no broadheads at all. So to a close by Wally World I went. Bought 125 gr. Muzzy broadheads. Grouped great great. Killed 3 does that trip down. Bottom line .... any of these 3 worked well for me. I think you'll do just fine with the Thunderheads.

Cossack 03-20-2014 06:03 AM

Really like Slick Trick Mags. One tough, fly well, great erminal performance broadhead.
Have one that's made the trip through several deer and is still goood to go. Great locking system, easy to replace blades.

redmag 03-21-2014 06:28 AM

I hunted last year for the first time with the Xbow (but also my Mathews compound) and I use Thunderheads 100's in both and they fly great. With the Xbow the longest shot was maybe 20 yds or so. I was worried because most everything I have read says at least 125 gr. heads. That said, I am totally new to Xbows and maybe I got lucky shooting the Excal Vixen.

Bbj270 03-21-2014 09:08 AM

Dad used the thunderheads 125 for probably 20 years or so with good luck. I shot muzzy just because I can get them a little cheaper.

HatchieLuvr 03-22-2014 08:38 AM

I started bowhunting in 1985, the Thunderheads were "THE" heads back then and stayed that way for many years until mechanicals took over. I used them off and on myself for nearly 2 decades. The only complaint that I had with them is "every now and then" if you messed up and dead centered a tree OR a balljoint on a shoulder, sometimes the scew in tip would break off! With todays bow and xbow speeds I'd be leery of such breakoffs and thats why I insist on one piece heads or at least something without a screw in head. (Back in the 80s I also used NAPs "Razorbacks" which had the same screw in tip as the T-heads and they also were prone to breakage if you hit the right, HARD target!)