HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Scope replacement (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/389007-scope-replacement.html)

satrapus 01-15-2014 11:55 AM

Scope replacement

I finally got my 200# 390fps xbow.
The 4x32 scope that it came with is poor quality.
Given the high speed of my bow I'm on the lookout for a 3-9x32 scope but from what I can see most xbow models are 4x32.
I like to shoot out to 70 yards and the higher mag would be nice.

Are there any xbow dedicated 3-9x32 scopes out there?

I was even considering the asg bug buster 3-9x32 mil dot reticle.

Any thought or suggestions are welcome.

Tnhunter444 01-15-2014 12:57 PM

Although I use a red dot sight on my CB, I'll wade in and make a comment. If you're wanting to shoot to 70 yards max (I'd certainly not go any farther) I'd think a quality 4X would be plenty of scope. A deer is a pretty good sized animal and a 4X scope should be plenty for precise aiming at 70 yards. Using a 4X scope on a rifle, I've shot groups under 1/2" before, so the aiming and shooting part should not be a problem with 4X, IMHO.

At that range, I'd likely want some type of trajectory compensating reticle, as you mentioned. I think if you were to get a better quality scope you might change your mind about needing 9X magnification. Just a thought.

craig 01-15-2014 03:50 PM

Vortex has just come out with a 2.5-10X44 crossbow scope with multi aim point Illum. reticule.

Not a cheap scope at all, but very very good. I'll see if I can find a link for you.

DirtyGator 01-15-2014 04:52 PM

I believe the tenpoint rangemaster pro is variable power. 1.5 to 5x. with multiple reticles and the ability to adjust to Your xbow's speed. And I think excalibur has a nice one as well, not sure though.
http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/sho...cope--P32.aspx

smokepolehall 01-16-2014 04:43 AM

Redfield Revenge 2x7 crossbow model

craig 01-17-2014 10:50 AM

Here is the link I didn't get up the other night to check out the new Crossbow scope from Vortex Optical.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...-1-moa-reticle

This link I chose as it shows the new XBR scopes reticule very, very well. You can also get all the info that Vortex has up regarding the new scope with just a few clicks.

This new scope is in a class all it's own when it comes to the quality of this scope when compared to ALL other "made for crossbow" scopes currently on the market today. Just look at all the much higher quality items built into this scope when compared to all others, most of all perhaps when comparing it to the Leupold, Redfield, Nikon & Hawke scopes out now......pretty much no comparison. The new Vortex scope sets a whole new standard for quality & features, as such it's in a new class of it's own.

1)Greater power range of 2.5-10x good for both the hunter & target shooter.

2) Brighter as it uses very low dispersion glass & multi coatings + a 44mm objective lens to take in more light.

3) A great reticule for crossbows with a dozen hash marks for ranges + illumination of 6 of them.

4) Relatively short & light for all it offers at 12" length & 19oz. weight.

That's all the great things I see with this scope. Now for the bad news.

This scope is expected to cost about $600, which sets a new standard for prices for crossbow scopes as no other costs even 2/3's this amount. But quality costs.....alot.

I hope it's of some interest to you.

scottycoyote 01-20-2014 08:54 AM

my excalibur came with a varizone scope that adjusted to fps and have reticles out to either 50 or 60 yards, but i think it stopped at 350 fps. That was an older exomax tho, they might make something newer and faster now since their speeds have gone up

OneBear 01-21-2014 03:14 AM

Have no fear, there quite a few self proclaimed experts here who will provide you with what they believe is expert advice. Be careful who and what you listen to.

Tyme2Hunt 01-29-2014 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by OneBear (Post 4117463)
Have no fear, there quite a few self proclaimed experts here who will provide you with what they believe is expert advice. Be careful who and what you listen to.

That goes for any web discussion. I've only hunted crossbow 3 years. I do however, have extensive experience with scopes for rifle shooting. IMHO, I see absolutley no need for a 10 power crossbow scope. My considerations would be for clarity, yardage dots that are spot on at the chosen distance and a reticle with not too much clutter so as to interfere with the field of view. I have a scope that is equipped with the reticle illumination feature. In 3 years of crossbow hunting, I have never found it beneficial to illuminate the reticle. Bear in mind that I shoot 50 yards tops, and am more comfortable at 40 yards or less. I'm retired and we have a very liberal bag limit here, so I do have a lot of hours in the stand(s). Good Luck with your quest for the perfect scope!

bugsNbows 05-29-2014 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tyme2Hunt (Post 4119192)
That goes for any web discussion. I've only hunted crossbow 3 years. I do however, have extensive experience with scopes for rifle shooting. IMHO, I see absolutley no need for a 10 power crossbow scope. My considerations would be for clarity, yardage dots that are spot on at the chosen distance and a reticle with not too much clutter so as to interfere with the field of view. I have a scope that is equipped with the reticle illumination feature. In 3 years of crossbow hunting, I have never found it beneficial to illuminate the reticle. Bear in mind that I shoot 50 yards tops, and am more comfortable at 40 yards or less. I'm retired and we have a very liberal bag limit here, so I do have a lot of hours in the stand(s). Good Luck with your quest for the perfect scope!

+1000 the above comments. FYI, for those of you well heeled folks, Trijicon has a 3x24 ACOG crossbow scope out for the princely sum of $990+. Think I'll grab a couple. LOL.