HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   New Vortex Crossbow scope! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/388490-new-vortex-crossbow-scope.html)

craig 12-30-2013 04:46 AM

New Vortex Crossbow scope!

Vortex is going to be announcing a new crossbow scope. It is going to be shown at the ATA about a week from now.

This scope is based on the Vortex Viper PST line up. Here it is! !

Viper PST XBR 2.5-10X44mm

30mm tube
Length 12"
Weight 18.8 oz
Second Focal Plane
Eye Relief 4"
1 MOA adjustment graduation
48 MOA per rotation
86 MOA total
Parallax Setting 75 Yards
CRS Zero Stop
30mm Tube
length = 12"
weight = 8.8 oz
second focal plane
4" eye relief
1 MOA per click
48 MOA per rotation
86 MOA total adjustment
CRS Zero Stop
Parallax set to 75 yds
11 aim point reticule, 6 of which illuminate

Price is expected to be $600.00

This is a major step up in crossbow scopes. Much better quality of glass for clearer & sharper images. Also note that the 44mm objective is going to be a great help in low light situations as is the new crossbow reticule with illumination.

The price is higher than crossbow users are accustomed to, but this scope is a huge step up in quality of optics offered for crossbows till now.

What do you guys think of it? Thoughts good & bad regarding it? ?

Cossack 12-30-2013 08:17 AM

That's great, for those who crave owning the very best. Me, I don't need a $600 scope to shoot to around 30 yards or less.. where all of my kills to date have been.

craig 01-01-2014 12:54 AM

True enough Cossack.

But this scopes added brightness at dusk and dawn would enable you to see/shoot better at those times.

Same is true for the ill. reticule when combined with the much larger objective lens.

I'd have liked it more if it were FFP rather than SFP, but many prefer the SFP.

Regardless this scope is better than anything built for Xbows up to now.

Cossack 01-01-2014 04:59 AM

Presumably it's SFP so the distance between dots changes as the power is changed thus better accommodating various velocities. The size of the objective bell only increases the field of view. It's the size of the OCULAR objective that affects light transmission. Nice scope but parallax set at 75 yrds seems more suited for rifles ... or target shooting way out there.
I just happen to think that crossbows are for up close and personal. If I want to stretch my game there are half a dozen scoped 'hancannons' as well as deer rifles at my disposal. But hey, whatever turns ones crank, eh?

craig 01-01-2014 11:24 AM

The 75 yd parallax setting is a compromise IMO, I'd have rather seen it set at 40-50 yds for xbow hunting, as opposed to target shooting at 100+ yds.
While I do like to practice part of the time out at 60-80 yds, some like to shoot waaay out there with their xbows. So I do agree with you on extreme range shooting with what is still archery gear.

The guru of xbows at the shop I bought my Scorpyd has taken deer at up to 75 yds with his Vent. 150. If I owned the shop, I'd put a stop to his telling new guys about such shots. I've shot target with this guy & he's got a almost spooky touch with his Vent @ extreme ranges. I'm not impressed by his being able to sight the bow for those distances, top shelf arrows & just set the scope for the needed elevation. But his skills at judging a crosswind are very impressive. BUT it is at best a very poor form of advertisement & at worst some of those new guys are going to be try'n to do the same thing, without the skills needed.........and frankly they'll wound far, far more than they cleanly kill. Not good for the game animals & terrible image for crossbow shooters in general. I've told the guy to his face that he shouldn't pump up new guys with such ideas, but ya might as well talk to a rock.

While I've never taken a long shot like that on game I do like the idea of much better quality optics for Xbows than most in the market now. Brighter, sharper images are always a advantage. It's my hope that a future release will be more along the lines of a 2-7X36 or perhaps a 2-8X40, but with a 50 yd parallax setting. To me a 2-8x40 would be ideal. Lighter weight, a better parallax setting & still more than enough magnification, to me, for target shooting I do.

I also hope to see other companies take note of Votex's higher quality product selling well & introduce other scopes that will also improve our choice of higher quality scopes.

Have a great day & a wonderful new year!

bugsNbows 05-29-2014 01:16 PM

Vortex stuff is good but, IMO, this is way too heavy with too much magnification. I prefer the K.I.S.S. theory and prefer fixed power scopes.