Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Crossbow advice please. >

Crossbow advice please.

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow advice please.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:29 PM
Spike

Default Crossbow advice please.

Hello, so I'm new to crossbow but recently was awarded a crossbow permit for hunting in MA. This due to breaking both hands with football injuries. Now at 28, no more football. So I'm looking into crossbows and have been to Bass Pro and Kittery Trading post. Both have suggested Barnett and Parker. One being the Thunderhawk. Also was looking into a Horton but with them going OOB i stirred away. I do like Ten Point of course. I'm looking for my best option under $600 for now then graduate from there if needed. Suggestions and advice from experience would be great. Thanks!

Last edited by Griff12; 12-27-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:55 PM
Spike

I have had 2 Barnetts, c5, and a new Recruit compound ( $244 for the package, and it is fantastic and cheap) Try Cabelas as you can shoot them b4 you buy.....
Old 12-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Spike

Excalibur and Ten Point crossbows are the best. My personal preference is Excalibur because of there simple design and unbeatable performance. I got an Excalibur Ibex last year for around $500.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:14 PM
Spike

Talking

Try as many as you can for fit and feel.Don't worry about a 600 budget for something that shoots well.Wicked ridge says they are the best bow for under 500 and there is alot of truth to that,great product.I owned one wr and 2 barnetts and one horton so far in about three years.The horton I bought closed out and am playing with it,they are done anyway.The wr just didn't fit me that great and I liked a barnett jackal I had better.I tried a recruit this year because of the size and really like it.The raider by wr is a narrow bow also.Excal owners love their bows and I have looked at them and like the idea of low maintenance but just don't like the width for my hunting setup but they have a great reputation.A buddy of mine has a parker bushwhacker and is happy with it also.I joke that with my barnetts I can have 2 bows for 600
Old 12-28-2013, 12:20 AM
Spike

try to shoot the Wicked Ridge Series, they're with your price range

Here are some tips >> http://goo.gl/NKW53J
Old 12-28-2013, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

Call David at Wyvern Creation 603-695-0575 He will help you with honest answers to all your questions. Best phone call you could ever make! He has forgotten more about crossbows than any one else knows!!
Old 12-29-2013, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

X2 on Wyvern Creation call.

Barnett Raptor would be one I'd strongly consider on that budget, that way you've still enough money to buy target, arrows, quiver ect.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:13 PM
Spike

Excellent advice coming in guys, I'm going to give Dave a call soon. I wasn't aware of the wicked ridge series, i'll have to look at them, shot the Bushwacker at cabela's this weekend. i liked the feel But also shot a nice ten point, the recruit felt a bit like a toy to me, i'm 6'2 230 so i need something a little longer and with good feel to it. There is a local place that also sells used, do any of you suggest buying used at first? I personally think maybe best to make the new investment due to i will be hunting with it from now on.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

6'2" 240. 37" sleeves. The Mission 320 handles like a wand, quiet, light, great trigger, easy to cock. Do yourself a favor and take one for a spin.
PS
But, as you can see I shoot three brands currently, by all means call Dave and try as many as you can before purchasing. (He does not now sell Missions, local dealers only for Mathews - it's their sub-brand.)

Last edited by Cossack; 01-04-2014 at 03:04 PM. Reason: PS
Old 01-02-2014, 03:05 AM
Fork Horn

Excalibur for me as well. A lot of folks will tell you how accurate their crossbow is. What's never mentioned is the range. About any of them on the market will destroy arrows at 20 if you aim for the same spot. With an excalibur you don't aim at the same spot at 50.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.