Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Crossbow advice please. >

Crossbow advice please.

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow advice please.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:24 AM
Spike

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by craig
Only if the archer with the compound bow does not know how to tune it until spot on bug.

And you what a list?

Scorpyd brand bows that can and will do this:
Velocity
Ventilator
RDT 165
Telson 130

Darton's Viper SS Extreme does it also & that's the only Darton I have enough experience with to know.

Ten Point Sealth SS, and again this is the only one from this company I know enough about to KNOW, hardly means others they make won't do so.

In fact Cossack named several above that I've not used, or seen used enough to have a reasonable opinion of.

Clear Bug you've not shot enough different bows to realize just how good so many of today's bows are when firing spine matched arrows. I don't go out of my way to shoot a whole lot of different bows, mostly ones guys I know have........yet I can name you 6 bow modals from 3 different companies that'll do it.

I've also no doubts that there are a good number of others from other companies that will kill arrows @ 50 yds if that is what yanks yer chain.

As to Excals, you can't give me one. Period! !

WAY, way more noise than a car wreak when fired & way more jump than my bow. That new 380 is the loudest bow I've ever fired, or seen anyone else use as well. The Matrix bows are more compact, but also louder than the older ones I've shot.

And I don't work for any archery gear maker, now or ever. But your Xcal bias is VERY clear Bug.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

I purchased a Barnett Vengeance and love it. It's a reverse limb bow, so that makes it quieter than the standard crossbows. If I remember correctly, they shoot at 350 feet per second. The only complaint that I have is the bolts fall out of the quiver way to easy but I'm going to look into buying a better one. I payed $700 for mine on ebay but maybe you could find one cheaper somewhere else
Old 01-17-2014, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by VTBoneCollector
I purchased a Barnett Vengeance and love it. It's a reverse limb bow, so that makes it quieter than the standard crossbows. If I remember correctly, they shoot at 350 feet per second. The only complaint that I have is the bolts fall out of the quiver way to easy but I'm going to look into buying a better one. I payed $700 for mine on ebay but maybe you could find one cheaper somewhere else
You will have a better balanced bow if you go to a hip quiver.

I much prefer the hip quiver myself. Couple reasons......

1) If you buy a fairly deep one, your bright fletching is mostly hidden from view, which I like. Yet easy to reach in with thumb & first finger grab a nock & good to go.

2) Attach a small flap and you cover the top of the quiver & are SURE none come out while doing what ever you need to do.

3) Not only better balanced like I mentioned above, but also lower total weight of bow. Scope, base & rings + carry sling add weight I can't avoid, but a quiver I can and do.

Mostly however I like the hip quiver for the better balance & lower weight of the bow. Once you shoot for a bit without that quiver's weight on there I doubt you'll wish to go back.

Crossbows ALL weigh more than do compound bows, but why make it worse than it must be?
Old 01-17-2014, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Griff12
Some real good info and interesting point coming in. For sure seems as though some people are biased with xbows. I'll primarily be hunting stands and ridges. Some field but mainly in the woods. What are some favorites/selections on Bolts,strings, heads etc?
BOLTS/Arrows

For arrows the best I know of come from South Shore Archery. This guy not only alines spine of each arrow as he goes, he matches the weight to within 2 gr. arrow to arrow throughout any set you buy from him using Black Eagle Archery Executioner arrows where you indicate you want the spined & matched. Sure you pay more for this, but a fully matched up set of a dozen I have didn't require a loan & shoot amazingly tight......ALL of them & that's better than paying 2/3 the price (or whatever) & finding only 3-4 are worthy of becoming your set aside hunting shafts out of a full dozen.....or at least that's my take on it.

STRINGS:

Viper X
Winners Choice
Vapor Trail

All of these are good top shelf strings/cables. Now that said, there is a bit of difference. Viper X seems to last just enough longer to notice than the other 2, but also give lowest speeds through a Crony.

Vapor Trail offers some really cool color combinations & also gives the highest speeds, again by chronograph testing.

Just as longevity advantage isn't huge in favor of Viper X, the speed advantage for the Vapor Trail also isn't earth shaking.

Honestly I'm sure there are several other good brands of strings you could find. I know Boo's custom strings are very well regarded by those using them. Boo I think makes strings mostly just for recurve xbows, but I'm not sure of that. AND/but that is based on entries I've seen on hunter's web forums & not based on direct experience of myself and my circle of xbow hunting friends. I try never to post possible BS I've only read on web sites without labeling it as exactly that, so there's fair warning on this area except for the first 3 types of strings listed.

HEADS:

I figure you're asking about broad heads here, so this is what I'll mention.

My bow shoots well with both the 1 3/4" cut Grim Reapers & NAP's Spitfire Max broad heads in 125 gr. Under 2" groups at 50 yds is to me acceptable hunting accuracy. Both these heads are 3 blade of the fold forward type by the way.

I've not tried the made for Xbow type from Grim Reaper, but 2 others shooting Scorpyds love them well & their accuracy is every bit as good as mine.

Broad heads is one area that I've not done a whole lot of testing in. Perhaps I was lucky, but I found 2 that worked real quick by listening to others who use the same bow. Not, "Field point accuracy" as is often advertised, as they do NOT shoot to exactly the same point of impact, but 5 clicks up & 3 left is not huge @ 30 yds. which is my sight in range for my center crosshair. My secondaries for 40 & 50 are good to go when I've checked them.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

Griff,

You didn't mention targets when you asked about items to use with your new bow when purchased. But let me say that if you go for a "speed bow", make sure you buy top shelf targets like the Rhino Brut for broad heads. Cheap targets live very, very short lives with high end crossbows of 365 fps or higher shooting 400 gr. or higher weight arrows. But your fletchings lead even shorter lives shot into such targets. I speak from experience here as I did not know this & found out the hard way.........

I hope you'll post back to us here to share what you buy & how well it's working for you good or bad. Best of luck to you Sir! !
Old 01-21-2014, 03:18 AM
Fork Horn

Griff12
Be careful who you listen to and what advice you take The self proclaimed experts here can give you really crappy advice. They are legends in their own mind and can lead you astray.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:33 PM
Spike

Thank you for all the advice! Went with the Ten Point titan extreme from bass pro, had some GC's from the holiday and couldn't go wrong i figured! Came with the 3-9x and the ACUdraw 50. Shot excellent groups right out of the box, about 2 inches left of center on my old compound bag target, needless to say holding off on the zero until i get another target.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:34 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by craig
Griff,

You didn't mention targets when you asked about items to use with your new bow when purchased. But let me say that if you go for a "speed bow", make sure you buy top shelf targets like the Rhino Brut for broad heads. Cheap targets live very, very short lives with high end crossbows of 365 fps or higher shooting 400 gr. or higher weight arrows. But your fletchings lead even shorter lives shot into such targets. I speak from experience here as I did not know this & found out the hard way.........

I hope you'll post back to us here to share what you buy & how well it's working for you good or bad. Best of luck to you Sir! !

You couldn't be more correct, need to invest in a good target now
Old 01-27-2014, 03:56 PM
JW
Super Moderator

And invest in an arrow puller!

JW
Old 02-03-2014, 02:18 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Griff12
Thank you for all the advice! Went with the Ten Point titan extreme from bass pro, had some GC's from the holiday and couldn't go wrong i figured! Came with the 3-9x and the ACUdraw 50. Shot excellent groups right out of the box, about 2 inches left of center on my old compound bag target, needless to say holding off on the zero until i get another target.
Your going to like hunting with this bow, it will shoot about any reasonable arrow good, but id still take a look at south shores black eagle executioners. I have my set up saved if ya need a starting point on them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.