Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Crossbow advice please. >

Crossbow advice please.

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow advice please.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:26 AM
Spike

Happy New Years! I shot a WR Invader on sale at Bass Pro for $499, Shot real nice and easy draw also. Thank you for that suggestion. Shot off hand and put two bolts side by side in the bull at 30yds. You have a point bugflipper re accuracy out a little further. I'll explore the excal line also. What does everyone use as far as speed 300-300fps? What do you suggest? Also what are some favorites on broadheads? I don't believe shwacker makes them for xbow. I used Rage with my compound
Old 01-04-2014, 05:11 AM
Fork Horn

I don't really get into all of the speed hype. I hunt public land that has very high pressure. Never had one jump or duck the arrow. The ibex shoots 292, well below the 400 fps screamers that a lot of folks use. With the vixen it shot 260 for years and I never missed a deer with it. I think it's 271 with the new string. To cold to go out and verify. I shoot heavy carbon arrows in both and a vixenmaster string. The ibex really would shoot 305-310 with a vixenmaster string and normal weight carbons. I don't like buying new arrows and elk hunt from time to time so would rather have it a bit slower and use the same arrows for years.

For heads I use swhacker 125s, they do have a crossbow one out now, I don't have them. If you shoot carbon arrows you need to put a small washer behind them to keep the blades from knocking into the carbon if you don't have the crossbow heads.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bugflipper
Excalibur for me as well. A lot of folks will tell you how accurate their crossbow is. What's never mentioned is the range. About any of them on the market will destroy arrows at 20 if you aim for the same spot. With an excalibur you don't aim at the same spot at 50.
Bug, that's a bit of a stretch. (I've owned 3 Excals..and 6 crossbows total, make my own arrows, strings and maintenance gear). Accuracy depends less on brand than matching the projectile to the bow, the quality of the trigger and, most importantly, the shooting capability of the archer. Lots of bows are accurate at 50 yards, not just the Excal.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Cossack
Bug, that's a bit of a stretch. (I've owned 3 Excals..and 6 crossbows total, make my own arrows, strings and maintenance gear). Accuracy depends less on brand than matching the projectile to the bow, the quality of the trigger and, most importantly, the shooting capability of the archer. Lots of bows are accurate at 50 yards, not just the Excal.
Well said & true.

Many, many xbow will shoot tight at 50 yds & more given well matched arrows & a capable shooter.

My best long range group is one of 2.6" at 75 yds with my Scorpyd.

But that best group was also shot with spine matched Black Eagle Executioners. Further I'd sorted my field tips to get 3 of the arrows to exactly 405 gr. to try at longer than normal ranges. NO chance I'd manage it with just any old set of shafts.....or with much of a breeze.

Xbow builders are coming out with ever better bows each year.

Take your time & find one right for YOU.

1)Does it fit you right & come up well every time?

2) Is it built right for your type of hunting? By this I mean is, if you hunt all the time from a tree stand.......is it compact, short & narrow + easy to cock in your stand?
Or if you hunt open field edges, is it really steady for you? Fast enough to do well at the longest shot you'd take?
Trigger pull is what you prefer?

3) Good dealer & service close to you? Warranted?

Beyond those it's just minor details for each individual.

Best of luck to you finding the right bow for you.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:17 AM
Fork Horn

A bit of a stretch, I don't really consider it that. It's clear that recurve limbs will give better accuracy. That's why every national title is held by them. It just so happens that excal is the major brand that makes non compounds. With accuracy it's one's prospective of how good it is. Lots of them being accurate at 50 is a blanket statement. Name some compounds that can ruin arrows at 50. In case you didn't get the meaning striking one arrow with another hitting the shaft with normal consistency.

That is going to be hard pressed to make a list with lots since arrows can overcome inconsistencies at close range yet cam timing, the biggest obstacle for a compound crossbow really starts rearing it's ugly head at the 30-35 yard line, depending on head, vane and spine of coarse. Sorry if that came off as argumentative. By the way which company do you work for?
Have a good day.

Last edited by Bugflipper; 01-05-2014 at 05:19 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

A bit of a stretch, I don't really consider it that. It's clear that recurve limbs will give better accuracy. That's why every national title is held by them. It just so happens that excal is the major brand that makes non compounds. With accuracy it's one's prospective of how good it is. Lots of them being accurate at 50 is a blanket statement. Name some compounds that can ruin arrows at 50. In case you didn't get the meaning striking one arrow with another hitting the shaft with normal consistency.

That is going to be hard pressed to make a list with lots since arrows can overcome inconsistencies at close range yet cam timing, the biggest obstacle for a compound crossbow really starts rearing it's ugly head at the 30-35 yard line, depending on head, vane and spine of coarse. Sorry if that came off as argumentative. By the way which company do you work for?
Have a good day.
This isn't my first rodeo, bug. been hunting with a crossbow for years. I know too well what a 'Robin Hood' is but no longer shoot for groups becasue of the expense and because it only proves one's stupidity.
Both my Parker and Mission crossbows can do it. My Vortex too but the trajectory of my Phoenix is so steep that a sure hit on the target itself - at 50 yards - is iffy. It's a wonderfully accurate and durable bow; just not at 50 yards. Ergo, not (all) Excaliburs are minute of gnats arse accurate at 50 yards.
Moreover, none of the 3 Excals I've owned had a trigger anywhere near the light, crisp (stock) trigger in my Mission, until I worked them.I give credit where credit is due.
BTW, I'm retired full time with no past or present connections, either financial or emotional, to any brand. I shoot multiple brands of rifles and handguns; crossbows too.
I shoot and maintain what works and I like, and definitely feel that no one implement is the answer to all my shooting needs.

"Only accurate guns (and bows) are interesting." Townsend Whalen.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:15 AM
Spike

Some real good info and interesting point coming in. For sure seems as though some people are biased with xbows. I'll primarily be hunting stands and ridges. Some field but mainly in the woods. What are some favorites/selections on Bolts,strings, heads etc?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:18 AM
Spike

I agree and disagree with point on the accuracy. For sure the bow plays a part in it. But it's also big part the bolt,shooter and tip. This is from my previous experience since i have non with crossbows of course. I won't be competition shooting though. Looking for reliable rugged hunting.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:41 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Griff12
I agree and disagree with point on the accuracy. For sure the bow plays a part in it. But it's also big part the bolt,shooter and tip. This is from my previous experience since i have non with crossbows of course. I won't be competition shooting though. Looking for reliable rugged hunting.
Tenpoint titan extreme, around 600.00 without accudraw. Very nice illuminated scope, dead nut accurate out of the box for the 2 we own, minor adjustments when siting in. Killed a lot of deer with them, reasonable limb width, easy to ground blind or tree stand hunt with. We use black eagle executioners and 125 grain 2 1/4" Swhacker broadheads. You wont need to upgrade anything on this bow, unless you want. Im not a expert but I have owned a lot of crossbows in a reasonably short amount of time and for me personally, this one was the best hands down.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

Have a good day.
Only if the archer with the compound bow does not know how to tune it until spot on bug.

And you what a list?

Scorpyd brand bows that can and will do this:
Velocity
Ventilator
RDT 165
Telson 130

Darton's Viper SS Extreme does it also & that's the only Darton I have enough experience with to know.

Ten Point Sealth SS, and again this is the only one from this company I know enough about to KNOW, hardly means others they make won't do so.

In fact Cossack named several above that I've not used, or seen used enough to have a reasonable opinion of.

Clear Bug you've not shot enough different bows to realize just how good so many of today's bows are when firing spine matched arrows. I don't go out of my way to shoot a whole lot of different bows, mostly ones guys I know have........yet I can name you 6 bow modals from 3 different companies that'll do it.

I've also no doubts that there are a good number of others from other companies that will kill arrows @ 50 yds if that is what yanks yer chain.

As to Excals, you can't give me one. Period! !

WAY, way more noise than a car wreak when fired & way more jump than my bow. That new 380 is the loudest bow I've ever fired, or seen anyone else use as well. The Matrix bows are more compact, but also louder than the older ones I've shot.

And I don't work for any archery gear maker, now or ever. But your Xcal bias is VERY clear Bug.

Last edited by craig; 01-12-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.