Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Newby advice

Old 12-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Spike

Default Newby advice

I've never shot a crossbow and I can't use a compound because of a gimpy arm. I want to extend my deer season so I'm going to buy a cb. All I plan to do with it is practice until I think I can hit something and then hunt and practice a little before each season. I'd like to get going on this before the next season. 2 on craigslist right now are: Barnett Quad 400 Crossbow "like new" with a crank and a few extras for $225 and TENPOINT TITAN HLX CROSSBOW not much info or any extras listed for $450. Money isn't the biggest driver here but I'm not going to go crazy. Durability is important; I don't want to have to become a cb tech or develop a network of cb techs.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Spike

The 2 bows you mention if in good shape sound pretty fair priced depending on what is with them.That being said you would be amazed what you can get in a new bow with warranty for 300 or less.Wicked Ridge Warriors by ten point can be found for 300 and Barnett has the jackal and recruit for about 279 and 249.All three are entry level type and have red dots.I have owned all three over the last 3 years and shot deer with them.I finally settled on the recruit then sold the other 2.The warrior was great but a little long for me in hunting clothes and certain situations,the jackal worked good for me ,but tried a recruit and it was narrower and lighter and quieter and almost as fast and I really like it.See if you can handle some at the big bow stores and see what fits you best.

Last edited by sbgrace; 12-04-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

If durability is an issue, take a gander at the Excalibur line. Ibex or Phoenix or their composite rail counterparts. I've owned 6 bows so far. Excalibur are by far the toughest, maintenance-free bows I've owned and serviced. If I were to own just one (GASP!), without question it would be an Excalibur. Plus, its still covered by lifetime limited warranty....if you fail to mention you bought it used.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

Recurve bows are by far the toughest and easiest to work on. Beyond a shadow of a doubt Excal recurves are the top of the line If a compound is what trips your trigger I would look at Ten Point and their Wicked Ridge line They are pretty much trouble free and dependable as can be Barnett are not the best quality and for a long time have had tendency to break.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Esp the Quad 400..........

Barnett are not the best quality and for a long time have had tendency to break.

Last edited by awshucks; 12-05-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

I have to disagree with Barnett being bad. That was once true, but not for several years now. Barnett is working real hard to update product line and win back customers. A major part of that is much, much improved customer service.

While the Recruit is a good bow with a good number of happy owners, Barnett has just released a new for 2014 bow called the Raptor. This bow is very narrow, light @ 6.2 lbs. and fairly short to boot. The Raptor gives a bit more velocity than the Recruit @ 330fps.

Ten Point has & deserves a top shelf reputation & will tend to hold resale value better than many others.

Last edited by craig; 12-08-2013 at 02:50 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Spike

Thanks for your replies.
I've been looking around at cb's for a couple of days now. I missed a Parker Buck-Buster on ebay. I think I'll buy a Parker Thunderhawk, $550 at Bass Pro Shop or a Ten Point Wicked Ridge Invader for $499 at Dicks. I'm going mostly on the way they feel and they both have a good rep. Does anyone want to chime in on this?
Old 12-11-2013, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Call Dave Wilkins at Wyvern creations first. Not only extremely knowledgeable but the best deals - and service - around. Dick's and BPS have 'bow sellers' that generally know precious little about crossbows and do not service them. Dave knows bows! And is willing to share his knowledge, based on your needs and finances.

http://www.wyverncreations.com/

Last edited by Cossack; 12-11-2013 at 05:23 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:42 AM
Spike

I wouldn't buy the Thunderhawk. I bought one and to me, it's not a well designed bow. If you do some internet research you will find that string has so much down pressure on the rail, it wears out the serving. It does not shoot the advertised FPS (320), mine shoots 312FPS. Maybe it's from the drag on the rail, I don't know. I'm sending mine back. Stick with Ten Point/ Wicked Ridge.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Spike

What do you guys think of the Velocity brand? I have shot a few of their models and liked them. I have never shot anything else so I do not know any different. What do you guys think of them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.