HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Why Not West Virginia (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/387231-why-not-west-virginia.html)

Coyote Kid 11-18-2013 12:21 AM

Why Not West Virginia

Seems like a good idea to have a crossbow season in WV, but for some reason we can't even have one in the woods for anything without a Y permit that would need to come with a doctors permit. I do believe that the WV Bowhunter have alot to do with it. We all are bowhunters reguardless which style. It would allow more people enjoy the hunting sport not to mention the revenue it would bring into the state. I don't understand as to why one group would want to deny another. Just wanted to say!!!!!!!!!

CK

Cossack 11-18-2013 02:23 AM

Same problem here in Minnesota. The strong Vert archery guys want the woods to themselves and their lobby keeps it that way. Shame, really, for every three hunters thatleave the sport only one starts. Crossbows are a great entry means for kids and keeping oldsters like myself (73) engaged.

MZS 11-18-2013 03:12 AM

Cossack, in WI crossbows will be legal next year for all ages. And currently, 65+ year olds can use them. In MN you can not use them at your age? If that is the case, you should contact your state legislators and at least work on making them legal for older hunters. Better yet, get a bunch of hunters like yourself to contact the legislators. Just mention the word "discrimination" and those lawmakers will, in fear, do whatever you ask.

olsaltydog 11-18-2013 05:10 AM

Its an issue alot of states have gotten into. Just a few years ago it was illegal to use during bow season. Then it was allowed but to own one you had to have a handgun permit to purchase. Now its open. I can understand some reservation by die hard bow hunters and will admit even mine is not quite a bow, but its not exactly a gun either.

Cossack 11-20-2013 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by MZS (Post 4099089)
Cossack, in WI crossbows will be legal next year for all ages. And currently, 65+ year olds can use them. In MN you can not use them at your age? If that is the case, you should contact your state legislators and at least work on making them legal for older hunters. Better yet, get a bunch of hunters like yourself to contact the legislators. Just mention the word "discrimination" and those lawmakers will, in fear, do whatever you ask.

I can use one because I have a disability permit. Only temporary and permanent disability permits allowed at this time. Age is irrelevant.

craig 11-26-2013 09:22 AM

Many years ago I recall my dad telling another local, who was hating on the "new" compound bows this:

"I don't see the need for more than a bow like mine or yours, but don't figure I've a right to tell others how to live. Those folks arn't tell'n you how you can farm, so what makes you think you've a right to tell them how they can hunt? A deer don't care what you're try'n to kill'm with, our long bows, my 06, or a bow with wheels, he just cares you're try'n to eat him. So long as they don't kill more deer than the law allows it's none of my business or yours how they do it."

I suspect if Dad were still living and able he'd still be using that same old long bow, no sights, bow quiver....just the bow and some cedar arrows with turkey fletchings. I recall watching him shoot carp in the local creek for one form of practice. Was kinda fun watching one he'd hit poorly take off up the creek with one of Dad's orange and blue arrows going with it.......(he didn't use a reel, just tried to shoot'm in the head). We'd later walk the creek and find what arrows we could. He killed a LOT of game & carp........and all with that same bow. He even shot sometimes in the local men's club shoots & held his own with it.

I expect Dad would look on crossbows just as he did compound bows, not his cup of tea, but if that was your preference, so be it.

EVERYONE should have that choice. If you don't like crossbows, don't use'm.

craig 11-26-2013 09:36 AM

Ohio is the only state I know of where crossbows were not much of a issue. They've had'm for about 35 years with no issues to. Strange how that state's hunters worked together back then & now, yet most do not.

I remember how it used to be said that the crossbow was only a weapon of a poacher. This I think came from Europe where that really was true at one time. But in this country the .22 mag. rimfire is the weapon most often used by poachers and has been for many, many years.

Now days it's just the selfishness of the vertical archers who do not wish to share the woods with others. Some day, at the rate hunter numbers are declining, they'll get their wish........only to find that the anti-hunt groups will then dictate to them that they'll not be allowed to hunt at all.

Cossack 11-26-2013 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by craig (Post 4101805)
Ohio is the only state I know of where crossbows were not much of a issue. They've had'm for about 35 years with no issues to. Strange how that state's hunters worked together back then & now, yet most do not.

I remember how it used to be said that the crossbow was only a weapon of a poacher. This I think came from Europe where that really was true at one time. But in this country the .22 mag. rimfire is the weapon most often used by poachers and has been for many, many years.

Now days it's just the selfishness of the vertical archers who do not wish to share the woods with others. Some day, at the rate hunter numbers are declining, they'll get their wish........only to find that the anti-hunt groups will then dictate to them that they'll not be allowed to hunt at all.

True enough. Ever try to shoot a crossbow from inside a car? Good Luck.

Cossack 11-26-2013 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by craig (Post 4101798)
Many years ago I recall my dad telling another local, who was hating on the "new" compound bows this:

"I don't see the need for more than a bow like mine or yours, but don't figure I've a right to tell others how to live. Those folks arn't tell'n you how you can farm, so what makes you think you've a right to tell them how they can hunt? A deer don't care what you're try'n to kill'm with, our long bows, my 06, or a bow with wheels, he just cares you're try'n to eat him. So long as they don't kill more deer than the law allows it's none of my business or yours how they do it."

I suspect if Dad were still living and able he'd still be using that same old long bow, no sights, bow quiver....just the bow and some cedar arrows with turkey fletchings. I recall watching him shoot carp in the local creek for one form of practice. Was kinda fun watching one he'd hit poorly take off up the creek with one of Dad's orange and blue arrows going with it.......(he didn't use a reel, just tried to shoot'm in the head). We'd later walk the creek and find what arrows we could. He killed a LOT of game & carp........and all with that same bow. He even shot sometimes in the local men's club shoots & held his own with it.

I expect Dad would look on crossbows just as he did compound bows, not his cup of tea, but if that was your preference, so be it.

EVERYONE should have that choice. If you don't like crossbows, don't use'm.

Your Daddy was a very wise man. Unfortunately he didn't run for congress. NAH, he was likely principled too. Couldn't have made it a day in that den of thieves. (How can you tell when a layer (congressman) is lying? When his self-serving mouth is moving.

Valentine 11-27-2013 04:04 PM

Every state is different

In the end it's how many deer there are available; how many hunters hunt in the various bow, muzzleloading and gun seasons; how many deer are taken; how many deer are left. And no state matches exactly on all four situations.

Some states have had an increase in hunting opportunities due to the simple fact there are less hunters. Once upon a time PA had rifle, bow and no crossbows; flintlock muzzleloaders; and gun season.
With less hunters they can have the more efficient crossbow and muzzleloaders not flintlock.

In the end it's how many hunters are hunting; how many deer are available. If hunters become too efficient, that will curtail hunting.