HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   fletching falling off...aggravated (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/386157-fletching-falling-off-aggravated.html)

NjHunter85 10-18-2013 08:01 PM

fletching falling off...aggravated

just want to express my rage with my local bow shop. They are a great shop, been around for years, decent customer service, and they have a lot of stuff. But for the 3rd time in less than a year my fletchings that they put on have just fallen off. They should be on there no matter what the temp outside or inside is, moisture, cold, warmth etc...I don't know whats going on. I take the crossbow hunting I bring it in my house when im done most of the time. sometimes I leave it in my jeep overnight or whatever but its not like im dropping it, laying it down on the arrows or hitting the fletchings. They just keep falling right off. I brought them back to the local shop they never charged me to put new ones on but its getting annoying. All they can say is " must be a bad tube of glue" ha..i think its time to go to a different shop.

Cossack 10-19-2013 05:33 AM

Not acceptable answer. Cyanoacrylate (super glue) ages quite fast and should be refrigerated to prevent deterioration. Could also be a case of poor prep of shaft and or the vanes they use. I use Blazers and Gorilla Brand super glue (blue top). It holds much better than any bow-brand glue I've tried (much cheaper too) and prep the carbon shafts with wiping down with acetone and extra fine steel wool. The vanes stay put - even when passing though a target. GB glue is fortified with latex so doesn't crack with age like others I've tried.

ruttnbuck 10-20-2013 03:20 AM

Quick fletch

Cossack 10-20-2013 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by ruttnbuck (Post 4090621)
Quick fletch

Fast and easy, true, but one pass through a target (or deer) and your rather expensive shrink-fletching job is toast. Plus they weigh considerably more thereby reducing FOC ratio, if that's an issue.

Dnk 10-21-2013 10:04 AM

I think it's time to start learning how to fletch your own.

FlDeerman 10-21-2013 06:20 PM

Quick fletch works if you don't know how or have the stuff to fletch your own.I just shot my crossbow with it and a few went through the target and they are still fine.
If I shoot through a deer I expect something on the arrow to need repairing,if it tears up the fletching then I just heat some water,cut off the old and put a new one on,then all I have to do is resharpen the broad head and I'm hunting again.

NjHunter85 10-21-2013 07:05 PM

ya I think im gonna try the quik fletch. this is getting crazy. or just buy that fletching jig and do my own stuff..

Mojotex 10-26-2013 10:48 AM

Fletching jig and correct glue ... not much expense when you get right down to it. And easy to learn how to do. Been doing my own for over 40 years.

Bugflipper 11-10-2013 07:35 PM

I use the blue top gorilla glue and store it in the refrigerator. The bottle is about out but it's lasted for several years and they don't fall off even going through a bag target.

awshucks 11-10-2013 09:04 PM

X2 on the above post........