HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Hunting during a windy day? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/385774-hunting-during-windy-day.html)

The Green Horn Hunter 10-07-2013 11:23 AM

Hunting during a windy day?

If the wind is blowing a little more then average? Do you still hunt? I am shooting roughly around 25 yards take or give 5 yards. It shouldn't effect the distance too much does it?

daddus1 10-07-2013 11:39 AM

GHH,
It depends which direction the wind blows but probably at a deer sized target and a good hold and shot it probably is ok.
In my case I get to hunt whenever there is no work so when I get a chance to hunt I just go and make the call when it happens.
Last thursday and friday on the eastern shore of Maryland I got to hunt , it was high 80's in the afternoon but that was the time I hunted.
daddus
IMHO

The Green Horn Hunter 10-07-2013 01:01 PM

Thank you kindly Daddus1, I am going to be bringing my Xbow and a camera, If the wind is too much and I happen to see some deer, I will shoot it with a cannon. If the wind has died down during this time where I can pick up my crossbow and quietly load a bolt into the rail, I will do so. So it's going to either by the cannon or my Xbow, I'll let you guys know!

FlDeerman 10-12-2013 03:09 PM

If it's that windy then I hunt on the ground and try to get them close before I shoot.

Cossack 10-13-2013 06:42 AM

Deer get too spooky on very windy days, don't come out till late. It's not just the hit but blowing fallen leaves make tracking more challenging. I lay low if it's that windy; being retired and hunting full time makes it easy call.

Tundra10 10-13-2013 11:09 PM

Windy days are some of the best to "still hunt".

Mojotex 10-17-2013 03:57 PM

Strong cross winds are an issue as I see it. Winds blowing at you or away from you are not.

I have no data to back me up on this, but if the cross wind is whipping the tree limbs pretty good I try to compensate about 1" towards the wind direction per 15 yards and take only shots that give me a large kill area. About 40 yards is my self imposed limit ... so a 2" - 3" windage is about all I'll ever adjust for.

Now if the wind is in the 30-40 mph range or greater .... I am usually sacking in for the day !!.

craig 10-21-2013 09:22 PM

Green Horn,

You did not say what bow you are hunting with or arrows, fletches & razor heads used. And in combination these things can change the amount of defection a lot.

But even with a bow shooting 300fps, large fixed blade head, 5" vanes or feathers, light for bow arrows I very much doubt you'd see more than 2-3" of deflection at 25 yds in moderate winds...........up to 15mph. And if you are shooting a arrow that has a mech. razor head, 3" long or less & .5" or lower fletches......then about 1.5" or less at 25yds.

Every set up is different, best way to KNOW is to go shoot some target in a cross wind that is as strong as any you care to hunt in. The more practicing you do in cross wind conditions the better your "feel" for this will become.

I shoot a bow that runs 425 fps with 400gr. arrows. But I use a 440 gr. arrow, with mech. Reaper razor heads, 2.7" goat tuff fletching. At 25 yds I'd not even consider windage @ 15mph crosswind.

Profile means more in wind IMO than arrow weight, most of all at modest ranges like you posted.

Like others said, within reason, hunt whenever you can.

mackesr 10-22-2013 08:30 AM

A good steady wind is great as long as you are hunting into the wind and dont take any long shots. I would rather hunt in those conditions than a swirlling wind that blows your scent all over the place.

The Green Horn Hunter 10-22-2013 08:54 AM

Thank you guys, Craig, As the name states I am shuch a green horn hunter, I know what the flecting is and I know what the vanes are, But as for the names of the I.E brand name? I have no clue, I am using Pile driver bolts if that helps.