Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
dang....1st dryfire ever....but got lucky >

dang....1st dryfire ever....but got lucky

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

dang....1st dryfire ever....but got lucky

Old 09-19-2013, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default dang....1st dryfire ever....but got lucky

Has got to be the WORST feeling ever.

I am not afraid to admit my mistake... Yes, I finally did it after all this time. (that makes it seem even worse)

Was indexing some arrows and had changed to a stock string from a flemish (only positive thing).

I believe it saved the limbs. Shouldered the crossbow pulled the trigger and CRACK. Thought it busted a limb at first.

All it seemed to damage is the string, it was frayed a little by the serving.

Needless to say I immediately check the bow thouroughly and put the older flemish back on. ( I had removed it because the serving was seperating.)

After messing with the serving I got to where I can probably use the flemish string this season since I am already dialed in and will have minimal shots.

Hopefully this will never happen again... I think if I hadn't switched out strings, and to a brand new, not totally stretched one at that, I may have had damage.

Went over the limbs with a cotton ball and checked all of the bolts...

Took some shots and all is good.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:19 AM
Spike

Excals are tough. Do you have S5s mounted on it? If so they probably saved you from damage.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by robertyb
Excals are tough. Do you have S5s mounted on it? If so they probably saved you from damage.

Nope, just the dissapator pads. Got lucky for sure.

I doubt that will happen again. Such a sick feeling hearing that sound.

It's still in the back up of my mind there could be unseen damage, but I see no splinters, etc. Everything appears fine, so I am prolly good. Like I was saying,all I could find as far as damage was to the string. Broke a few strands.

I am wanting one of the new Matrix. Maybe next year or the year after if I can safe up.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

glad you're OK!

The dissipater pads had to have helped your limbs in the dry fire. Any extra support means a lot in that situation. Were I you, I'd add some S5s stops as that will damp noise a bit more + no speed loss.