Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
bad scope or bad bow? >

bad scope or bad bow?

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

bad scope or bad bow?

Old 09-18-2013, 03:59 PM
Spike

Default bad scope or bad bow?

First things first. Are crossbow bolts supposed to lay flat on the rail? My bolts are 1/16 above the rail out at the end of the rail. Can't seem to get consistant group at 20 yds. groups no better that 4 inches. When I try to adj the scope, 4 clicks moves the bolt 4 inches at 20 yds. I know all about trigger squeeze and breath control etc. I'm really disappointed in my Parker Thunder Bolt.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

No expert at all, in fact I might not know what I'm talking about at all. That being said, My parker challenger the bolt lays on the rails. Now I've tried some of the lighted knocks (that you heat up and then push it) and screwed everything up (to a 4-5" bow at 40) but when I quit using them and went back to the capture knocks it went back to a 1" 40 yd shooter. I took and put the parker silencers on and the thing went to a really messed up shooter, took them back off and it's back to making me smile, I'll just live with the noise. The scope I think is suppose to be like 20 clicks to the inch at 10 and mine seems to be close to that. Contact parker and run it by them, and then post on their service department, I sort of would like to know. You didn't say but are you using the parker bolts?? The bolts are suppose to be 400+ gr, what size broad heads are you shooting. Good luck

Last edited by rjhans53; 09-18-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

Pretty sure the bolt should lay flat on the rail. Mine has a set scew on the finger that holds the bolt so you can adjust the pressure pushing on the bolt. I would think if the rail was good and straight it should lay flat no matter the pressure but either way thats what my manual said to fix the problem. Hope this helps
Old 09-19-2013, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bolts should definitely lay flat in channel (groove). Could it be your vanes are too big and bottoming out in the groove causing the tip to stick up? Put a know straight edge against the tiller (rail), if it's not uniformly flat the entire length, you have a problem bow. Can't think of any way to fix a bent rail other than replacing it.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Parker Tornado ... bolt lays flat on the rai. Rail could be warped ??? Straight edge test should show if it is. I'd sure talk to the bow shop about this.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:12 AM
Spike

Default will know today or tomorrow

Heading back to Bass Pro for an evaluation.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:50 AM
Spike

Default Bad scope or bad bow?

Took it back to Bass Pro.......tried another like it.....same as mine. Returned it for a store credit and bought a Wicked Ridge Invader. problem solved! it has a smoother trigger....groups well but is a bit heavier. The built-in cocking device is handy. I hope it doesn't malfunction. if I can't shoot my Red Hots with capture nocks I'll need to get some more bolts. OK gurus......can I shoot the Red Hots?
Old 09-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ten point has a couple scopes. one will light up the pins red or green if need be and will work while not turned on, one must be turned on to see the reticles. If the battery dies with that one you won't be able to hunt. Hope the bow tech explained that to you. I ended up with the LXS. Couldn't be happier. Also the steady eddy may help steady the bow, worth the $.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

per lance at parker service, Yes the bolts free float at the end of the rail
Old 09-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Typical Buck

I have an Enforcer that I had the same question about. Parker told me the same thing, that it will float just above the rail. Was out today and it shot very nice groups. Also with the Parker supplied scope it is 20 clicks = 1 inch at 20 yards. Good luck with your new crossbow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.