Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Shakey when shooting crossbow >

Shakey when shooting crossbow

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Shakey when shooting crossbow

Old 08-20-2013, 09:23 AM
Spike

Default Shakey when shooting crossbow

Every time i go to shoot crossbow or gun i get real shakey ,my buddy is same way.what we can we do to fix this issue?
Old 08-20-2013, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

So you are rock solid shooting scoped rifles?
daddus
I think you will find we"re all a little shakey but won't admit it if weare shooting without a rest
Old 08-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use a rest,knee,or shooting sticks.Off hand we're all a little shaky.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I echo FlDeerman. It is very difficult to shoot "off hand" , especially from a standing position because of the difficulty holding steady. Most of my shots at game are going to be from a seated position. Some times but not often I might have a good rest.

If this is your case as well, practice seated on a stool or chair. Something that helps me is to not linger on the target. I ease to the target and settle in rather quickly, steady up andthen fire. The longer try to hold, the less steady I become.

See if you can develop a "four count rhythm". (1) Up to target .... (2) aim on target ... (3) exhale and hold. ... (4) release. I think this may help.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Been practicing with the crossbow the last few weeks. I agree standing and aiming i get a little sway but not really shaky. After a few days noticed it got a little less and more comfortable holding the xbow. The thing with xbows is they are not balanced like most firearms are. They are bulky and the weight is from the mid-section forward. This puts more weight on your extended arm. Support it with a knee or some other rest and just keep practicing.

One thing that also helps but I cant confrim this yet will have to test it out. When my father had shoulder reconstruction surgery i helped with his lawn care business running the weed eater. With the commercial grade straight shaft eaters one arm is close like you hold a firearm and the other is extended. Holding the weed eater like that for several hours a day for a season strengthened certain muscles in my arms and back so i was no longer sore at the end of the day and could do it with ease. Also will say this coincides with me not noticing the sway/ shaky sites i got holding the xbow these past 2 years. This year have worked only my yard and is the first i have ever noticed it. The whole reason i got it was because my father had the surgeries. This way we can get out and use the same bow.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:09 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by olsaltydog
Holding the weed eater like that for several hours a day for a season strengthened certain muscles in my arms and back so i was no longer sore at the end of the day and could do it with ease. Also will say this coincides with me not noticing the sway/ shaky sites i got holding the xbow these past 2 years.
Agreed. Get some dumbells and run through some exercises several days per week.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

You may already know this, but if you tuck your elbow up into your waist it helps support the weight of the bow better. You still get a sway like ol saltydog said, but with lots of practice you learn to control the sway and as the crosshairs come into the target you squeeze off. Hope this helps.....
Old 08-22-2013, 10:39 AM
Spike

thanks everyone for your help,i think i do try to hold way too long.i usually prop bow on my knee but still shaky.we been practicing some and i am comfortable at 30 yards,but bow is sighted in upto 40.i am using wolverine carbonexpress bolts,rage 2 2" broadheads,and horton summit hd150 crossbow,with tru glo red dot.next year hopefully ill be using a parker,i love my horton but heard they went out of business.the four count rythm i think it will help alot and tuck my elbow in my waist will help alot.thanks again everyone and god bless you all.good luck hunting!
Old 09-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

The main things that will help you is how you hold a weapon, practice shooting, and breathing. Try studying army marksman literature and try practicing shooting as often as possible, benched up at the range will not count. After practicing alot with offhand difficulties at 100+ yards in a rifle, 50 yards with a crossbow will not be very challenging.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Spike

Is it that you are shaking or floating around the spot? I learned this after many years or shooting a compound bow. The thing is that everthing is moving, the earth is rotating as we speak and the harder you try to hold still the harder it becomes. The closes fix that I have come up with is to let the sight pin or cross hair ( float ) and maintain your focus on the spot you want to hit and relax,squezzzzzze the trigger. This has improved my off hand shooting alot. Hope this will give you both something to try. Good luck.

CK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.