HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Swhacker mechanicals on high speed crossbow. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/383223-swhacker-mechanicals-high-speed-crossbow.html)

Primitive Weapon 07-22-2013 06:50 AM

Swhacker mechanicals on high speed crossbow.

Is anyone using swhacker broadheads with their crossbow?

I have a Barnett Vengeance that shoots 350+ fps and am considering trying the swhackers but would like some feedback from people who've tried them.

robertyb 07-23-2013 09:21 AM

I am shooting the 100 grain 2" cut from my Excal Vortex. Shoots same POI as my field points. Shot a doe last season and it was one of the fastest bow kills of my life and I have been bow hunting over 45 years. I plan on using them again this year.

smokepolehall 07-24-2013 03:09 AM

I haven't used them but i watched Danny Miller shoot them. Results were 20 yds offhand dead center into a 3/4" plywood. Then another 9" into a Rhinehart 18-1 target usin a 200 pl Excal. BH blades were still good & would slice yer finger. I have bought half dz to hunt wid this Fall. If'en they do well i will stay wid'em!

daddus1 07-25-2013 06:17 AM

PW,
I don't know about Schwackers but I use 125 gr Jak Hammers that are used on vertical bows out of my Stryker 380 and they work just fine
daddus

bubbinator 09-23-2017 10:32 PM

They suck. Will pop open causing a miss.

yeoman 09-14-2018 10:47 AM

Have a friend who lost a deer last year and believes the Schwacker opened up in flight from his Sniper 370. He's doubling up the O'rings this year.

bronko22000 09-19-2018 04:02 PM

I personally don't like the Swhacker concept simply because you don't get full expansion until entry. Now granted, using a high speed xbox and a heavy bolt you will almost always get a pass through. However, should you happen to punch the near shoulder joint (which I believe you would bust) and then somehow manage to hit the opposite shoulder joint or leg bone, you may not get a pass through and you're left with only a tiny hole to leave a blood trail.
I would prefer, if using a mechanical, to use something like a Rage or G5 that opens on impact leaving a big entrance hole. Even if you don't get a pass through.
You can argue the effectiveness of the Swhacker all you want. I just don't care for them and will likely never use one. And as far as quick kills, I've used Magnus Stingers for years and had several deer drop within sight going less than 50 yards. Including a huge legitimate 200+ lb. 10 point.

sniperhunter230 09-24-2018 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Primitive Weapon (Post 4068308)
Is anyone using swhacker broadheads with their crossbow?

I have a Barnett Vengeance that shoots 350+ fps and am considering trying the swhackers but would like some feedback from people who've tried them.

I use them with a Barnett Ghost 420 with no problems.. Shot 5 bucks last year and retrieved them all. They dont go far either. I dont use the rubber bands that come with the swhackers. I cut heat shrink tubing very thin and it holds them together in flight and open on impact.

bzlytbeer 03-05-2019 06:07 AM

If you do use the rubber bands that come with them, make sure you use at least 2 of them when firing from a crossbow. Otherwise, what sniperhunter230 said about cutting and using some shrink tube works very well and is what I will be doing this year since I am out of the bands that came with them.

smokepolehall 03-05-2019 11:52 AM

Been a long time since i posted on this Thread. I still use the swhackers as one of my several b-heads i hunt with. Never had one open on me during the shot. I suppose if one did not change out the bands every yr. it may happen