Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Swhacker mechanicals on high speed crossbow. >

Swhacker mechanicals on high speed crossbow.

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Swhacker mechanicals on high speed crossbow.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Swhacker mechanicals on high speed crossbow.

Is anyone using swhacker broadheads with their crossbow?

I have a Barnett Vengeance that shoots 350+ fps and am considering trying the swhackers but would like some feedback from people who've tried them.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:21 AM
Spike

I am shooting the 100 grain 2" cut from my Excal Vortex. Shoots same POI as my field points. Shot a doe last season and it was one of the fastest bow kills of my life and I have been bow hunting over 45 years. I plan on using them again this year.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't used them but i watched Danny Miller shoot them. Results were 20 yds offhand dead center into a 3/4" plywood. Then another 9" into a Rhinehart 18-1 target usin a 200 pl Excal. BH blades were still good & would slice yer finger. I have bought half dz to hunt wid this Fall. If'en they do well i will stay wid'em!
Old 07-25-2013, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

PW,
I don't know about Schwackers but I use 125 gr Jak Hammers that are used on vertical bows out of my Stryker 380 and they work just fine
daddus
Old 09-23-2017, 10:32 PM
Spike

They suck. Will pop open causing a miss.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

Have a friend who lost a deer last year and believes the Schwacker opened up in flight from his Sniper 370. He's doubling up the O'rings this year.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

I personally don't like the Swhacker concept simply because you don't get full expansion until entry. Now granted, using a high speed xbox and a heavy bolt you will almost always get a pass through. However, should you happen to punch the near shoulder joint (which I believe you would bust) and then somehow manage to hit the opposite shoulder joint or leg bone, you may not get a pass through and you're left with only a tiny hole to leave a blood trail.
I would prefer, if using a mechanical, to use something like a Rage or G5 that opens on impact leaving a big entrance hole. Even if you don't get a pass through.
You can argue the effectiveness of the Swhacker all you want. I just don't care for them and will likely never use one. And as far as quick kills, I've used Magnus Stingers for years and had several deer drop within sight going less than 50 yards. Including a huge legitimate 200+ lb. 10 point.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Primitive Weapon
Is anyone using swhacker broadheads with their crossbow?

I have a Barnett Vengeance that shoots 350+ fps and am considering trying the swhackers but would like some feedback from people who've tried them.
I use them with a Barnett Ghost 420 with no problems.. Shot 5 bucks last year and retrieved them all. They dont go far either. I dont use the rubber bands that come with the swhackers. I cut heat shrink tubing very thin and it holds them together in flight and open on impact.

Last edited by sniperhunter230; 09-24-2018 at 09:34 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-05-2019, 06:07 AM
Spike

If you do use the rubber bands that come with them, make sure you use at least 2 of them when firing from a crossbow. Otherwise, what sniperhunter230 said about cutting and using some shrink tube works very well and is what I will be doing this year since I am out of the bands that came with them.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Been a long time since i posted on this Thread. I still use the swhackers as one of my several b-heads i hunt with. Never had one open on me during the shot. I suppose if one did not change out the bands every yr. it may happen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.