Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow choice

Old 10-05-2013, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have owned 5 so far: three Excals and 2 Parkers. If I were to buy another (compound) it'd be the Mission 360:Great trigger, carries well, fast, quiet, able to service without press, surprisingly easy to cock given it's speed. If recurve: Matrix 350: more compact, defines rugged self-service bow while still being relativley easy to cock. But I'd have to upgrade to Triggertech trigger to match the Mission's.

Last edited by Cossack; 11-04-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:42 AM
Fork Horn

Excalibur all the way
Old 10-20-2013, 06:14 AM
Spike

Ten point is simply the BEST you can buy.....
Old 11-04-2013, 06:06 AM
Spike

I have the Ten Point Turbo XLT II

Love it!!
Old 11-09-2013, 05:02 AM
Spike

Half of my man cave.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ten Point HLX
Old 11-10-2013, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by EXCAL62
Like Buckhunter, I had a Horton 150 that was a descent bow but it broke(my fault). I researched & researched weighed the pros/cons and ended up with a Excalibur Vortex. I absolutely love it, great service and if I need anything, the rep for the United States is only a 30 min drive from my house.
Lucky you! Danny is 1000 miles from me, good thing or I'd be there every day, lol.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:45 PM
Spike

1Barnett 1Horton
Old 12-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Spike

I shoot an Excalibur Ibex. The main reasons I chose this was the affordability, the reliability, and the simplicity. Shoots fast and amazingly accurate and if I ever have a string malfunction in the field I can easily restring it in seconds. Excalibur is the way to go.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

Scorpyd SLP 165

Pros:

Superb balance, not forend heavy at all, balance is between your hands where it belongs & is a aid to accuracy. This also makes bow feel & handle like it was lighter than it is.

Great accuracy, it's a tack driver even @ 80 yds.

Very low noise bow for it's draw weight & speed, in this Scorpyd is second to none.

Highest speed bow made in commercial numbers @ 425 fps with 22" 400 gr. arrows at a draw weight of only 165 lbs.

Cons:

A bit wide @ 28" overall, or 22.75" ATA (large cams), many others are narrower for overall width.

Trigger has more travel than I normally care for, but is predictable as it's consistent shot to shot, weight of trigger is 3 lbs.

Heavier than the average at bit over 9 lbs.

Bow requires top shelf arrows, which cost a bit more.

Cost, at $1400 there are much less expensive bows

I'm a good sized man, so the weight is no issue for me, though could well be for others. I love the accuracy & I like to shoot target practice out to 80 yds, though I'd not shoot that far on game. I shoot 250-400 shots per year, not as many as some, but enough that I really enjoy the moderate draw weight, & great accuracy & balance.

Scorpyd has discontinued the SLP bow, but the replacement the Velocity corrects the trigger creep issue as it is a light & almost no creep trigger, weight has also been reduced by about 1 lb., though quite a few others are still lighter than the Velocity's 8 lbs. This bow is equal to the SLP bows they replace in speed for draw weight.

Scorpyd also offers 2 other models, that I've not owned, though I've shot and liked the Ventilator. This is a brand of bows that any one looking into buying a crossbow should give a long look. You owe it to yourself to find a dealer who'll let you shoot one before buying a crossbow.

EDIT:

In revisiting this thread, I'm surprised I'm the only one who has a Scorpyd bow going well into the 4 page. So I felt I should have done a much better job of describing the bows strengths vs weaknesses.

Last edited by craig; 12-13-2013 at 02:44 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.