Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Cocking crank or cocking rope? >

Cocking crank or cocking rope?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Cocking crank or cocking rope?

Old 03-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Spike

GrandpaDave and js7924, thank you for the feedback. I was afraid that the crank made a ratcheting sound, but it's good to know that it can be turned off. I'm going to strongly considering upgrading.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

Guys,
So a crank is made for all crossbows? My brother just had the "shoulder surgery" I mean a complete rebuild and he will have a 30 lb limit for life. I want to get him whatever bow he wants but just want to know if I'm restricted on what bow.
Thanks in advance
daddus
Old 03-28-2013, 08:14 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by daddus1
Guys,
So a crank is made for all crossbows? My brother just had the "shoulder surgery" I mean a complete rebuild and he will have a 30 lb limit for life. I want to get him whatever bow he wants but just want to know if I'm restricted on what bow.
Thanks in advance
daddus
Sorry Daddus1 Crank systems are not made for every Xbow but there are enough of them that do have them available. So you should not have a big problem finding a bow that your brother likes.

Ten Point is the only Crossbow company that I know of with the crank built right into their bow, yes it is an attachment but it stays on the bow the only part that could get lost is the crank handle.
The crank does slide into a holder on the bow and stays held in there fairly well. I suppose if you handle it very roughly you could lose the crank but I don't see that happening very often.

Other bows have cranking systems that attach to the bow for cocking and need to be removed before firing. And like a cocking rope the crank can be forgotten at home so it is something that you need to make sure you remember to take with.

Parker has a bow with a C02 cocking system built into it. I have held this bow its very heavy and not to comfortable. It has other problems as well like the C02 tank draining when its cold outside. The Oring that seals the C02 tank to the bow gets cranks in it and you get out to your blind and find out the tank is empty when your in temps under 20 Deg. That is what I have told by several salesmen at various bow pro shops.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by daddus1
Guys,
Thanks in advance
daddus
lots of brands have cranking devices...just have to shop around see what works best. we have a parker bushwacker with a cocking device and its a little clunky setting up but it cranks very easy...I was trying to find what pounds it is to crank but I couldn't find it. My wife likes shooting it because she has had shoulder surgery on both shoulders and cant pull a regular compound bow and this device allows her to shoot as much as she wants. I know its no where near 30lbs to crank it...
Old 03-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Spike

I had a complete rebuild on my right shoulder at age 62 last May. I am back cocking a 200 lb. Excalibur again. Shoulder still hurts some but it is slowly getting strength back. Tell you brother to do his PT and listen to what they tell him.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have used both types. Prefer the rope by far.