Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Cocking crank or cocking rope? >

Cocking crank or cocking rope?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Cocking crank or cocking rope?

Old 03-16-2013, 05:54 AM
Spike

Default Cocking crank or cocking rope?

For simplicity sake I could see me getting an Excalibur as my first CB although I would want to try every model available - lightweight and quietness would be my major considerations. When cocking the CB, how does the Excaliber cocking rope work as compared to other models with an attaching cranking mechanism? Thanks.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

The rope system reduces the amount of effort by about 50%. A cranking unit requires very little effort as it is mechanical, only requiring the effort to turn the crank.

Some cranking units are put on and taken off after cranking the bow to full draw. Others, like TenPoint, are permanently attached to the stock
Old 03-16-2013, 08:45 AM
Spike

Thanks Onebear, after some more searching I found that Excalibur does offer a crank system that is removable, which would be my preference.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

I don't use one but a friend does and he said his is held in place by a bolt that you install/remove with your thumb on his Excal.

Jim
Old 03-17-2013, 02:35 PM
Spike

I have the Accudraw crank on my TenPoint Phantom CLS. Lordy, it has to be the greatest thing since sliced bread
Old 03-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Spike

I have a TenPoint with the ACU 50 (rope pull) and I like it because it's quiet and reduces draw weight by 50%.

However, mine has had a tendency to get out of alignment and one of the two ropes will not completely retract. This is a pain when you're in the woods, because it's noisy when dangling around. It can be fixed by removing the cover and adjusting it, but I'm not always carrying a spare screw driver in the woods. I'm not happy that after paying extra for that feature it doesn't consistently work. I'm considering upgrading to the crank system.

I'm curious to know if the TenPoint ACU crank system makes noise while cranking? Anybody know?
Old 03-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Typical Buck

+1 for the rope cocker.
Quiet.
Easy.
Light.
Small.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rope works.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Spike

jfarleyx
Ten Points cranks system is about as noisy as your typical ratchet for automotive work.
The click seems to bother some and others don't seem to be bothered by it at all its a personal choice you have to make after hearing it. It does have a silent mode but when its off so is the ratchet lock meaning if you start cranking and let go of the crank half way up with it off it will spin freely until the string is at rest again. That could be very dangerous.
Just what I know about the ACU-50. I have the ACU-52 rope cocker on mine and I like the fact that I can't leaver the cocker behind when going out to my blind or stand.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:01 PM
Spike

GranpaDave is correct about the AccuDraw ratcheting sound. I turn the lock off while in my stand. I feel the ratcheting is too noisey while in the woods. After getting the feel for the cranking, I felt comfortable cranking without the ratchet engaged. You definately want to keep a firm grip on the handle until the bow is fully c**ked. Two clicks, reverse crank about 1 1/2 turns unhook claw and stow it. Can't say I've ever had any issues with AccuDraw. Pay attention to the warnings about over cranking. I secured the crank to my Phantom CLS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.