HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Best crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/378894-best-crossbows.html)

wetpwdr53 02-09-2013 09:29 AM

Best crossbows

I'm in the initial stages of researching crossbows. This is my first purchase. Regarding quality, warranty, cust. support, performance. How would you guys rate: Excalibur, Parker, Ten Point, Horton, etc. Thanks.

daddus1 02-09-2013 11:50 AM

Wet;
This is a subject you could ask 10 different guys and get 10 different but correct answers. I shoot a Stryker 380 with Easton Bloodrunners and 125 grain point but my suggestion to you is this: 1st How far are you from the nearest pro shop? 2nd How able are you to work on or fix a crossbow?
If you are not mechanically inclined I would go for an Excalibur without all the cables and pulleys but if you are close to the pro shop go for whatever you like. See if you can find a couple of guys that are knowlegable about crossbows. What I did was go to the archery shop and ask them what they shoot? They get to play with and test everything so they are probably going to go with the best!
daddus
Can't hurt?

OneBear 02-15-2013 05:10 AM

To me, Quality and customer service is top consideration. That being said the two absolute best manufacturers are TenPoint and Excalibur, bare none. Excalibur makes soley recurve crossbows and are top of the line. TenPoint make mostly compound crossbows and are the best in the business
You cannot do better than to make a phone call to David at Wyvern Creations 603-659-0575 He will answer all questions and provide you with all the info you need to make the right decision .

Mike Hill 02-15-2013 04:40 PM

plus one for Exalubar. If you are going to hunt with it. just think when do things go wrong with your bow? of course during hunting season, right. It's nice to have a pro shop near by but they are not cheep and the time your at the shop your not out hunting. there is not much that can go wrong with an excalibur. If the string breaks, put another one on right in the field. try that with a compound crossbow you will have parts every where. I have been using them for 4 years and I won't use any other. As far as speed goes 305 fps is fast enough to take any deer at 40 yards. Just my 2 cents

wetpwdr53 02-17-2013 09:13 AM

Best crossbows

Great info guys. I appreciate it. Sounds like I'll narrow it down to Ten Point and Excalibur. Keeping it simple does have its appeal. Thanks again.

daddus1 02-26-2013 12:30 PM

wetpdr
did you decide on a piece of equipment?
daddus

smokepolehall 03-10-2013 06:29 PM

I never had no dealins wid Ten Pt they seem to be a quality crossbow maker. I am an Excal man been shootin them many many yrs. Don't spect i will ever change

big rockpile 03-20-2013 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by OneBear (Post 4036574)
To me, Quality and customer service is top consideration. That being said the two absolute best manufacturers are TenPoint and Excalibur, bare none. Excalibur makes soley recurve crossbows and are top of the line. TenPoint make mostly compound crossbows and are the best in the business
You cannot do better than to make a phone call to David at Wyvern Creations 603-659-0575 He will answer all questions and provide you with all the info you need to make the right decision .

Got to agree and Ten Point is U.S.A. made :rock:

big rockpile

mlaubner 03-21-2013 01:56 PM

+1 for the Excalibur.
Recurves are easier to maintain, but can be dry fired. I know. I dry fired mine. And unlike my vertical bow, did not blow up. My Excalibur can be decocked safely. Most compound crossbows must be shot to be decocked, so you need to carry 1 arrow in your quiver just for that purpose. When you are only packing 4 arrows, I like them all to have broad heads on them. JMO
your results may be different.

big rockpile 03-24-2013 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by mlaubner (Post 4045169)
+1 for the Excalibur.
Recurves are easier to maintain, but can be dry fired. I know. I dry fired mine. And unlike my vertical bow, did not blow up. My Excalibur can be decocked safely. Most compound crossbows must be shot to be decocked, so you need to carry 1 arrow in your quiver just for that purpose. When you are only packing 4 arrows, I like them all to have broad heads on them. JMO
your results may be different.

I leave my Bow cocked until I either get home or to camp.

Have three Arrows and have never shot over two on an outing.

big rockpile