Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Best crossbows

Old 03-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Spike

+1 for TenPoint

I have the TenPoint TitanXtreme model and I love almost everything about it. The only issue I have is with the AcuDraw system (rope pull, not the crank). Occasionally, one side gets out of sync with the other and it won't fully retract. I have to take off the cover and rewind the string on the spool to get both sides in sync. It's a pain in the butt. Especially when it happens in the woods and you have a noisy rope handle dangling against the stock.

Other than that, I've been happy with my TenPoint and would recommend it (with the crank draw instead rope assist).
Old 03-27-2013, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have a Parker, just cuz it was cheaper. 6 confirmed deer kills...one I lost due to a bad shot (my fault)...all shots have been under 30yds and the deer only go 40yds max.

I don't think it matters what brand anymore with the exception of super cheap bows...I personally wouldn't go less than Parker priced bows...just depends how much you are willing to pay...I do know super cheap means super cheap made. Just keep that in mind.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

Scorpyd bows.

The best reverse draw bows being made.

The new Velocity 165 is the leader for speed over all other brands & types of xbow. Basically a blending of the SLP 165 that came before it with the lighter rail & better trigger of the Ventilator. Also uses the Ventilator's stock, to me that's OK, but not a big deal. Speed is 425+fps with a 400gr arrow.

The Ventilator is a bit more compact & and still gives pretty high speed. Narrower, shorter & lighter (1/2lb) than the Velocity bow. About 400fps, or a bit less depending on arrow.

While these are very, very good bows, among the very best, they are also some of the more expensive.......

Last edited by craig; 04-02-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have first hand experience only with Ten Point and Parker. The Ten Point shot great. Fast and excellent accuracy. I clean killed every deer that I shot at with it. However I did have a failure of the safety mechanism. This malfunction resulted in an unintended and semi-dryfire of the cross bow. This model was their top of the line in 2007 and came with a hand crank co%king mechanism. The failure occured as follows. I had co%ked it shortly after getting set up in the stand. I was easing off of the co%k tension in preparation to remove and propeperly store the co%cking yoke when it fired unexpectedly. My hands were nowhere near either the trigger or the forearm release. Fortunately I had my left hand that was on the forearm well below the string, but not low enough to avoid the lower edge of the yoke as it was being launched. Nasty contusion to my left thumb.

Ten Point was great about the "repairs". Frankly it appeared to me that they had replaced my cross bow with a brand new one. I probably shot it 100 times and it worked flawlessly. However I had lost confidence in the safety mechanism and sold it. The guy that bought it from me knew of the malfunction and has used it extensively over the past two seasons and with zero troubles.

I replaced it with a Parker Tornado. Frankly I like it better than the Ten Point mainly because it is more compact and lighter in weight. It too is fast and deadly accurate. I have used it for 2 seasons now. I have killed 9 deer and one coyote with it. I changed from a typical cross hair "scope" sight to a lighted red 3-dot sight prior to last season thinking that I might gain a few minutes of shooting late in the afternoon. I missed two deer right off the bat, despite a lot of practice on the range. I switched back to a sight system similar to what I had been used to and from that point on did not miss again. Not sure what my issue was but apparently there was something I was doing wrong in the field.

I highly recommend the Parker. Not sure if they even make the Tornado any longer, but certainly should be offering something similar. My bolts are "Red Hots" with 125 gr. Montec fixed blade broad heads. I have never had an issue with flight or blood trails. The scope is the Nikon BDC made for a cross bow. Most shots have been a complete pass through with recovery made within 100 yards or so.

Good luck on what you end up buying and hope you have a great hunting season.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

I also have the SZ380 which is made by Bowtech and it's a awesome crossbow that is very light, deadly accurate and has the best trigger I've ever seen. I also have a Tenpoint Titan and they have been around for years and have one of the best customer service of them all. I do like the Tenpoint but it is really heavy compared to the SZ380 and the trigger has a lot of creep so I do all my hunting with my SZ and keep the Titan as a backup.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:11 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I don't know what is best so I went with seemed to have the best Customer Service and then found a used 10 Pt Titan TL4 with everything and the price was a steal!

So now am trying to tune it in using Magnus Bullhead to lop a turkey's head clean off!

So far am learning as I go. Found out bolts are hard to get out of the Block with crippled hands!

Shoots well tho.

JW
Old 04-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

Not sure where you are but I know someone that has an Excalibur for sale at $500. He said it has all top of the line accessories on it. They sell for almost $500 new but I'm not sure what they come with. Research it and if it's something your interested in you can just private message me with your info and maybe you 2 can work something out.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by craig
Scorpyd bows.

The best reverse draw bows being made.

The new Velocity 165 is the leader for speed over all other brands & types of xbow. Basically a blending of the SLP 165 that came before it with the lighter rail & better trigger of the Ventilator. Also uses the Ventilator's stock, to me that's OK, but not a big deal. Speed is 425+fps with a 400gr arrow.

The Ventilator is a bit more compact & and still gives pretty high speed. Narrower, shorter & lighter (1/2lb) than the Velocity bow. About 400fps, or a bit less depending on arrow.

While these are very, very good bows, among the very best, they are also some of the more expensive.......
I watched a youtube video on the Scorpyd crossbows and they look like a very nice bow but if your looking for something affordable, they aint cheap. $1200 with no accessories.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

I'm also looking into buying a crossbow that is quite and $700 or less. Any info would be great. I was thinking about a reverse limb crossbow because I heard that they are the quietest. Is there any truth to that?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

The reverse limb crossbows do tend to be quieter. One of the hunting mags awhile back did a comparison of several x-bows and the quietest by far I believe was the reverse-limb Horton Havoc. Horton also has another reverse limb called the Fury which is quite a bit louder - maybe due to design, or because of speed - it shoots at 360 fps where the Havoc shoots at 318 fps. Personally I would take 318 fps and be quieter....

All x-bows are going to be louder than a vertical bow, though. The quietest x-bow I've ever shot was the Barnett RC-150 - that one is pretty friggin quiet. But still a little louder than my PSE vertical compound.

If you are on a budget, I think Horton makes good bows. I have used a few different models over the years and they have worked well. Quality/durability is much better than Barnett, but probably a step below Excal or Tenpoint. I picked up a new Horton Brotherhood last year for $300 with a 4 power scope, quiver and arrows included. That is a pretty good deal. It worked very well for me last season. It is quite heavy and loud, but shoots fast and accurate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.