Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
New York State back to square one... >

New York State back to square one...

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

New York State back to square one...

Old 12-30-2012, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default New York State back to square one...

Well,
It appears that the 2010-2012 'Trail' law that allowed New Yorkers to use a crossbow during our firearms season was NOT signed back into law for another 2 years this Dec 2012! Talk about a set back!

This was the reason why I chose NOT to purchase an expensive crossbow because I know how F'd up NY is - and now al these guys than ran out and bought expensive crossbows these last 2 yrs can no longer hunt with them in this state.

NY has been it's own WORST ENEMY is getting the crossbow legalized while other states are enjoying crossbow season(s) and their elderly, female and women bowhunters too being able to enjoy and use them - as well as anyone with any kind of shoulder or elbow injuries or disabilities!

Sad....disgusted with this state of ours!
Old 12-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man that stinks sorry to hear that.Did they give a reason?
Old 12-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by FlDeerman
Man that stinks sorry to hear that.Did they give a reason?
Yes it does!

We have no idea. All we know right now that the 2 year 'Trail' Bill / Law that was to be for 2 years (2010-2012) expired Dec 2012 (this month) and the Governor of New York State did not sign a new Bill making them legal to use for 2 more years or permanent legislation to be used as a legal hunting implement.

I don't know if he can or will sign in in 2013 still making it legal to use for the Fall 2013 season or what.

There is a very powerful lobbying group here in NY State that is very strong, has a lot of money and supporters, etc. that DOES NOT want the crossbow to ever be legalized - especially for the Archery Season itself.

Very sad really - those of us who have used crossbows know the only advantage to them is - less time to master shooing one, etc.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:35 AM
dms
Spike

Actually this is a good thing, the way I understand it. That bill would have done away with the early youth hunt and allowed crossbows in the gun season. HOWEVER, ONLY IN GUN SEASON. With the veto of the bill there are some (actually quite a few) in the legislature pushing for crossbows in archery season, which is what we want. It is also my understanding these new bills are already written and will be lobbied hard this year.

Two more years of crossbows in gun season is a joke. Those in favor in crossbows in archery season will be pushing hard this year. I think the purpose of the legislation is to give the control of the use of crossbows to the DEC. So if they want to add crossbows to the list of legal weapons they may do so.

That's the info. I have, hope it helps.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

Very interesting DMS - thanks for that info? may I ask 'where' you heard that info from? You can always PM me if you prefer on this.

I live here in NY and haven't heard that bit of info from anyone!

Certainly interesting and if true def a positive move on NYS's part! We really ought to just legalize them and be done with this foolish argument. MY thought(s) are - if one doesn't like them - then just don't hunt with one - period - but don't take away the right of other(s) from using one if they so-choose, especially those who have shoulder, arm, elbow, etc. injuries, strength or ROM limitations or handicaps.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

NYS DEC is the worst...sucks......most idiotic organization besides PETA .......well and th Democratic party....however......

Sheeeeeeez .......in NC you can use freakin handgrenades to hunt ! i LIVE ON lONG iSLAND AND HAVE BEEN BITCH SLAPPING THE dec FOR 35 YEARS!

Here is a pip of a problem for ya ! Dove hunting in New York isn't allowed right ? THE REASON ? AS QUESTIONED AND ANSWERED ON The NYSDEC websight.........

THEY " DO NOT KNOW HOW TO CATAGORIZE THE SPECIE AS BEING EITHER A GAMEBIRD OR A MIGRATORY BIRD "

TALK ABOUT JACKWADS ! FOR 50 YEARS YOU CAN;T COME UP WITH A REPLY BETTER THEN THAT ?

SIMPLE ANSWER.........CALL IT BOTH ! BECAUSE IT IS !

FKN IDIOTS.

YOU WONDER WHY PEOPLE POACH ! PROBABLY BECAUSE THEY NEED A LAWYER TO READ THE RULES.

NYS SUCKS. NOT JUST THE DEC... THE GOVERNMENT IS THE MOST ENEPT PIECE OF CRAP IN THE NATIONS HISTORY.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Buckyou
NYS DEC is the worst...sucks......most idiotic organization besides PETA .......well and th Democratic party....however......

Sheeeeeeez .......in NC you can use freakin handgrenades to hunt ! i LIVE ON lONG iSLAND AND HAVE BEEN BITCH SLAPPING THE dec FOR 35 YEARS!

Here is a pip of a problem for ya ! Dove hunting in New York isn't allowed right ? THE REASON ? AS QUESTIONED AND ANSWERED ON The NYSDEC websight.........

THEY " DO NOT KNOW HOW TO CATAGORIZE THE SPECIE AS BEING EITHER A GAMEBIRD OR A MIGRATORY BIRD "

TALK ABOUT JACKWADS ! FOR 50 YEARS YOU CAN;T COME UP WITH A REPLY BETTER THEN THAT ?

SIMPLE ANSWER.........CALL IT BOTH ! BECAUSE IT IS !

FKN IDIOTS.

YOU WONDER WHY PEOPLE POACH ! PROBABLY BECAUSE THEY NEED A LAWYER TO READ THE RULES.

NYS SUCKS. NOT JUST THE DEC... THE GOVERNMENT IS THE MOST ENEPT PIECE OF CRAP IN THE NATIONS HISTORY.
Buck You,
I know all about NY DEC - I used to work for them as a Maintenance Supervisor of one of their facilities in Delamr, NY (near Albany, NY) for years before going back to college to become a now RN.

NYS has always been it's OWN worst enemy - with everything - and DEC is NO exception!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:09 AM
dms
Spike

Scoobie, I'll figure out where I read that and post it here. I live in central PA but have hunted NY for 25+ years. Last year was the first year I didn't archery hunt in NY in all those years. Bad back, bad neck, migraines. I can't shoot my vert bow anymore. It's depressing getting old and being unable to do something I love to do all because of a selfish few.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by dms
Scoobie, I'll figure out where I read that and post it here. I live in central PA but have hunted NY for 25+ years. Last year was the first year I didn't archery hunt in NY in all those years. Bad back, bad neck, migraines. I can't shoot my vert bow anymore. It's depressing getting old and being unable to do something I love to do all because of a selfish few.
DMS,
Sorry to hear that. As a RN - this has been MY argument to those tho hate xbows and don't want them legalized. many of us baby Boomers are getting older and have injuries, joint issues, etc. where we can no longer use vertical bows anymore - thus forcing people from being able to go bowhunting at all any more - which I think is very sad and unecessary at best...
Old 01-02-2013, 11:20 AM
dms
Spike

Here is part of what I read. I'll try and find the rest.

Monday evening word was released that the Governor has vetoed Assembly Bill 10583A. This bill would have continued crossbow use restricted to gun seasons and prevented the DEC from scheduling a youth gun hunt in the archery season. It was a compromise bill created late during the legislative session with some major flaws. I want to thank all sportsmen, our NYSCC members and all the other groups and their members for speaking up and letting the Governor’s office know their opinion. This upcoming legislative session is the time for permanent measures to be taken to see that the crossbow is classified as a legal hunting implement and to have the DEC determine where it should be used, which should include the archery season. We as sportsmen need to be vigilant and persistent to see that sound crossbow legislation is passed this year. Congratulations to all for now; and may we celebrate further in 2013. The need for all sportsmen to speak together was never more apparent or shown to be as successful as it was with the veto of this bill.

Let's see how this plays out. STM.

This was over on another site. I don't know if I'm allowed to say which site. I can PM you if you want it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.