Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Crossbow suggestions >

Crossbow suggestions

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow suggestions

Old 10-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default Crossbow suggestions

I just got into a hunting club and there's like a million shooting houses. So I was thinking about buying a crossbow so i could hunt out of them in bow season since it is legal in bama. I have just about made my mind up on the barnett ghost 350. But I will appreciate any opinions on my choice.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fishinty
I just got into a hunting club and there's like a million shooting houses. So I was thinking about buying a crossbow so i could hunt out of them in bow season since it is legal in bama. I have just about made my mind up on the barnett ghost 350. But I will appreciate any opinions on my choice.

I would hold off on buying that until you read up on some reviews, and get some feedback from people on here who have experience with Barnetts blowing up on them, etc. Not saying they are all bad, but a lot of people had had problems with some of Barnetts crossbows. I would say about any of the non-Chinese CB's would be better than a Barnett. Excalibur, TenPoint, Horton, Ect. There are just alot of better bows. It's better to get something you will be happy with for years to come than unhappy. Even if it means spending a little more money.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:00 AM
Banned

you want some great imput about crossbows. go to crossbownation.com
Old 10-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

I am not real familiar with the Barnett Ghost, but I did buy the Barnett Predator and had major problems with the darn thing blowing strings up in my face. I had sold my old Tenpoint to get that Barnett and I made the reseller take the predator back and I bought another Tenpoint. I have never looked back. Just saying......
Old 10-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

This is my first year with a crossbow. I bought an Excalibur because I liked the simplicity of the recurve limbs. I have no complaints with the bow.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

Excalibur all the way baby!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Can't go wrong with a 10pt
Old 10-26-2012, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

"It's not how well the bow shoots, it's how long the bow shoots well" Bill Troubridge of Excal fame............
Old 10-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had a Ten Point and have a Parker Tornado. I don;t want to bust anybody's bubble but .... my Ten Point had a failjure of the trigger mechnism that resulted in an unintended "release". Ten Point was excellent about the servicve but i lost confidence in that particular unit. I bought a Parker Tornado as a replacement after selling the Ten Point. I ahve had zero issues with the Parker, however just about 10 days one of my hunting buddy's Tornado blew out both limbs simultaneously while he was cocking the unit. The failure of each limb appeared to be identical, with both limbs splitting in perfect "half" the entire length, along what appared to be a lamination surface. This guy maticulous aobut care of his stuff, so I'd bet my paycheck it has never been abused at all. And it had been fired maybe 25-30 times ! The cross bow was purchased at the Atlanta area Bass Pro. Despite my buddy's two e-mails and a phone call to Parker's service, their repsonse was mute.

The guy returned the cross bow to Bass Pro and it was replaced with a new one a couple of days later. I say this only to say that I now figure any of the cross bows, essentially being compact, power storing machines, are subject to failure. Some maybe more than others.

Now I am worried about my Tornado ???
Old 10-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Spike

Barnett crossbows have issues. Granted there are users who never have problems,but the failure rate on thier line is very high.
Tenpoints,Wicked Ridge,,which is made by Tenpoint, and Excalibur are all fine manufacturers,as is Parker.

My best advice is to figure out how much you want to spend,then go try out as many as you can in that price range. When you find the right bow..youll "know"..itll just feel like putting on your fav pair of old jeans and sneakers.

Getting a good price is just half the battle...the customer service is the other half. Thats why I only buy from manufacturers who have a rock solid reputation for taking care of thier customer,should an issue arise. What good is saving $100 if the company wont be there for you and back up thier product?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.