Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Xbow newbie, some questions >

Xbow newbie, some questions

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Xbow newbie, some questions

Old 12-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Spike

Default Xbow newbie, some questions

I'm looking at getting a xbow to increase my deer hunting season. I used to bow hunt back in my youth but now I just use my shotgun and muzzleloader.

The reason why I'm thinking of getting a xbow over a regular bow is because I would have less practice time required with a xbow. Would this be a correct assumption?

Doesn't a xbow have longer range over a regular bow?

I'm just getting started in my research, one thing is aparent that there is some dislike for barnett xbows
Old 12-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I would have less practice time required with a xbow. Would this be a correct assumption?
Yes, less practice than needed with a compound but you should still practice from all shooting positions, situations and ethical ranges. You still have to raise the bow and the bow makes a whole whack of noise. There are no "gimmies". But with enough practice you'll likely muff less shots than you would with a compound.

Doesn't a xbow have longer range over a regular bow?
Nope!

I'm just getting started in my research, one thing is aparent that there is some dislike for barnett xbows
No comment.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

Patman- There are only two advantages of a crossbow over a vertical bow. 1- little practice needed. 2-far easier to understand how to shoot.

You can buy one, sight it in and hit the woods. It shoots no farther or faster than a compound. It is no more accurate. It is one heck of a lot heavier and clumsier. It is ideal for young folks and old folks and ones that are unable to pull a vertical. And.....they can get real expensive.

if I had a choice, I'd still be shooting a compound. I have no choice.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Spike

Yah with all the other things going on family, work, garden, animals, hunting, etc I would like to do something that will not use a lot of my limited time. But I want to do some more hunting when it is not below freezing outside.

The X-bow will give me the most range too because I can't pull back a compound bow to be equal with a x-bow.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by patman75
Yah with all the other things going on family, work, garden, animals, hunting, etc I would like to do something that will not use a lot of my limited time. But I want to do some more hunting when it is not below freezing outside.

The X-bow will give me the most range too because I can't pull back a compound bow to be equal with a x-bow.
No-No-NO

You will not increase your range. You are still going to be limited to 35-40 yards. Unless all you can pull is 30-pounds, you will be able to shoot no farther. remember, bow is getting close. It does not matter if the bow is vertical or horizontal. A 185 crossbow shoots no farther than a 150. You just have more trouble pulling the arrow out of the dirt.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

Contrary to what many so called experts say, you need to practice with a crossbow . Just sighting it in and going hunting is a big mistake! Distance to shoot while hunting is about the same as a vertical bow. Most good, ethical crossbow hunter limit their shots to under 30yds. The short crossbow arrow has a rainbow trajectory and losses speed fairly quick even though there are some crossbows that shoot an arrow 380fps.

There are several very good crossbow manufacturing companies, with lifetime warranty and excellent customer service. The top two being TenPoint and Excalibur. Bowtec makes a couple of super fast crossbows and Horton makes a decent crossbow.

The adage that "you get what you pay for" holds true to crossbows! If you buy cheap, that's what you get!
Old 12-17-2011, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

You certainly can become proficient with a crossbow with less practice but practice is a must. The hunting part is the same, as is the killing..it takes a good, accurate hit to prevent less. If you can't devote the time for at least some practice, don't start.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't count on just screwing a bhead on the arrow being good to go. Your vert days bheads may not perform on shorter arrows.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

As others have said, you need to practice. I use an Excalibur and it's pretty fast and hits hard, but I wouldn't consider taking a shot over 40 yards.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Spike

Don't get me wrong, I will be practicing. Just want to practice a little less to save time.

Thanks for all the advice. More research to be done. I should have a new bow in the spring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.