Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
help choosing a broadhead >

help choosing a broadhead

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

help choosing a broadhead

Old 10-14-2011, 06:06 AM
Spike

Default help choosing a broadhead

so i got my dad and excalibur axiom, so far so good. it came with the easton firenocks and 150gr heads. seems that most crossbows are shooting 100s or 125s, 150s are pretty hard to find. i know they recomend their boltcutter heads but i'm considering a few different options because we cannot get those around here. would it be OK to drop to 125 or 100gr so i have more options in heads. any suggestions in heads, i'd like to shoot the t3s but they make 125s. thanks for all the help.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

I think if the overall weight of the bolt (with the broadhead) falls within the weight guidelines recommended by the manufacturer, you're fine.

I don't see a problem shooting 125s in there. I personally shoot the NAP Spitfires in my Barnett. Really like those. I've taken three deer with them--and the last one dropped right in its tracks.

Just be sure to re-sight if you change broadheads.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually it depends more on the arrow, you need the center of gravity about 20% forward for good accuracy. I have not seen any arrows that could not be made to shoot good with a 125 gr head but have heard that there are some heavy carbon arrows that need that much weight in the head. If it has a light weight bushing in the front of the arrow it just might. Find center with the head on then find it with out the head on if the is not 20 % difference then you may have a problem. You can also find center by measuring then find it with the complete arrow on a balance point and measure the difference.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree on the high FOC recommendation. Try switching to a 125 gr field tip, if it flies well on your arrow then go with a short, 4-bladed fixed head (like Slick Tricks) of the same weight. They fly very well from all three of my bows, and give great terminal performance.
If you prefer mechanicals, one of the Spitfires will do the same and not open in flight.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

I took my father in law bow hunting for his first time last week and let him use my wife's xbow. I put some wasp hi tec hammer 100 grain heads on the bolts and they flew fine and he took a nice doe with the setup. I'm just glad I didn't need heavier head cause they were all I had for him .
Old 10-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Fork Horn

Another vote for 125 grain spitfires. trust me you'll never look back.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:35 PM
Spike

I have had great success using gold tip laser II with 100gr regular 1" slick tricks. It is a 4 blade fixed so no worries that go along with mechanicals and they have same poi as field/target tips
Old 10-31-2011, 01:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use 125 gr. G5 Montecs in my Excal. Equinox ( 225#), with the carbon Firebolts, 20". I tried expandables, but they opened up before they hit the target. I also bought some Slick Tricks, 125 gr. to use as well. One thing though, make sure you sight in your bow with the broadheads, because the G5's and the Slick Tricks both shot low and left of where my target points were hitting.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have a Ten Point GT Curve and shoot a 125 three blade Muzzy and it works just great. Have taken four deer with it since I bought it a few years ago. I went with what Ten Point recommended and it shoots just fine.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

BH's more depend upon yer budget than any thing else. 125 gr would shoot fine, mech. seem to cost more unless you happen to find a bargain. I have been shooting RazorTricks & i really like them to the pt. thats what i shoot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.