Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Crossbow killing power - Whitetails >

Crossbow killing power - Whitetails

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow killing power - Whitetails

Old 10-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Spike

Default Crossbow killing power - Whitetails

over 50 in Michigan and switching recurve to crossbow. Looking at some on ebay. Does the one I am submitting information on look adequate in the 25 to 40 yard range to hunt whitetails.

Thanks!
Chuck
Item length: 31"
Item width: 29"

Item weight: 5.43 lbs
Limb: Compression molded fiberglass
Limb length: 30"
String length: 29.5"
Draw weight: 180lbs
Draw length: 10"
Barrell: Aluminum Alloy
Stock: Desert Camouflage Stock, nicely polished, comfortable to hold
Initial speed of arrows: 220+ feet per second
Auto safety ****ing mechanism
This crossbow is fully suitable for large game hunting
Field to use: 200 yards
*Laser sight and 4x32 scope are optional equipment shown above. Please read below for the complete content you will receive.

Inside the package you will find:

1 pc 180 lbs Desert Camouflage Crossbow
12 pcs 14" Aluminum Arrows

1 pc 4 x 20 scope
Old 10-12-2011, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

14" arrows? Does not sound like any reputable bow I know of? List the brand, that will give us more info to respond re reputation, warranty, customer support. Crossbows require maintenance. Suggest you talk to someone who can not only give you that but info on which to buy: Dave Wilkins http://www.wyverncreations.com/.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

i would say this is very slow crossbow and not comparable in the weight sounds like a real cheapy i do not think you would be happy try to find a local shop that can set you up and service you if you have an issue . cheap can be expensive in the long run
Old 10-14-2011, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

Not sure what the price is of this one you're looking to buy, but I'd recommend buying something new locally for your first bow. Service after the sale (to me) is very important for a new person.

There are some very good crossbows anymore in the $300 range that are probably much much better than this particular one you're looking at it.

My two cents.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

220 FPS is very slow for a Xbow, 14inch arrows are kids toys stuff and nobody uses molded fiberglass bows. Sounds like some of that Chinese junk.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:22 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

Not fast enough and not enough energy.

for a 180 lb draw you should be getting way more speed than that.
I use an inexpensive Horton steelforce for the last 9 years. 240 fps with the stock 17 inch arrows. I switched to heavier 20 inch carbon arrows. 24 inch arrow would drop like a stone. My experience has been a longer arrow gives more stability in flight and doesn't drop as fast.....like a boat cutting thru the water. It's just more efficient.
Also,, where are you going to find replacement arrows for that? you'd have to have them cut special or order from the internet every time. And I doubt they would be of a quality that would please you. Also, accuracy is going to be more of a challenge with short arrows.

Last edited by dpv; 10-21-2011 at 04:24 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

not trying to tell u what to do... but I wouldn't buy that particular CB.. listen to what these guys are saying. most of them know what they are talking about and many have had years of experience. Persoanlly I bought a used (1 season) Excalibur Vortex for my 2nd CB. Its a very solid CB that requires virtually no maintenance. And what does need to be done, I can do at home without the need of a bow press since it is a recurve. There are some cheaper CB's than the Vortex that should suit your needs fine. You'll jusy have to shop around. And try shooting several different makes and models if possible. Most small bow shops as well as some larger sporting goods stores will let you try out some different bows.. See what feels good to you before buying one. Good luck and welcome! There is a great deal of good info on this forum. Someone will steer you in the right direction.

Last edited by Buckhunter46755; 10-22-2011 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wink

FYI- Kinetic energy for a bow ( X-bow , compound or recurve)

arrow weight X Velocity( squared) / 450240

My X-Bow is an Excalibur Equinox. The speed is 350 Ft./Sec. arrow weight is 350 gr.

350 X ( 350X350) / 450240 = 95.2 Ft. Pounds of Kinetic energy.
I'm not sure how much it takes to blow through a deer at 40 yards, but this X-bow has never had a problem. I agree with everyone else, it sounds like a cheaply made, slow X-bow. I would save the money and buy one from a reputable maker, Excal, Ten Point, Horton etc. You'll be glad you did.

Last edited by excalibur43; 10-23-2011 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like a Chinese made P.O.S. Do as Cossack said and call David at Wyvern Creations. It will be the best phone call you ever made. 603-659-0575 He will answer all your questions and help you make the right decision on the best crossbow for you.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

Bolts too short, too slow. I agree get a good one. I bought an Excalibur over 11 years ago and have killed a mess of deer and bear with it. Get at least 21" bolts with 175lbs draw length.

For what it is worth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.