Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
My personal understanding of choosing the Correct Crossbows >

My personal understanding of choosing the Correct Crossbows

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

My personal understanding of choosing the Correct Crossbows

Old 09-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Spike

Default My personal understanding of choosing the Correct Crossbows

In the past 3 years that I have found interest in hunting with a crossbow I have gained so much knowledge about crossbows in general. In particular one of the most frequent questions that I get asked a lot from friends and people that are not familiar with crossbows is which is the "BEST" crossbow. I have noticed that people have a tendency to believe that since the crossbow is highly expensive that it must the best crossbow. In most instances that is not true there are some non expensive crossbows that deliver the same or even better performance than the expensive crossbow. There are many brands and styles of crossbows to choose from, I have learned that the best way to know which crossbow is the one for you is to try it out first before buying. I remember when I first looked into purchasing a crossbow I wasn't aware of the variety of crossbows there are out there and yes some look really cool then others but that doesn't mean that just because it looks cool its gonna fit your needs. People have different taste and style, by this I mean just like when you go buy a cell phone or shoes, people want the ones that meet there standards at a right price. Now with that said which one was your first crossbow and how did you come in conclusion to know that was the crossbow for you..?

ED...
Old 09-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have 3 they all get used.My First was a 10 point with the accudraw 185 # pull. The second was an excalibur Exocet of 200# pull. The latest is a Parker Tornado with a 165 # pull. They are all very accurate. They have all taken deer with out any problems the 10 point is kind off long in tooth as I have had it since the middle 1980's it still shoots well and accurately but is a bit heavy so I do not use it for stalking I do use it where I might need to re-**** in the tree stand. The Exocet is an excellent long range for a bow very accurate the most accurate of the three it is wide which means I only use in open areas where there is a comparatively large tree stand or when stalking wild hogs or bear. The new Parker is very compact and quite in tight spots or small tree stands it is ideal it also is best in thick cover it is not quite as accurate as the other two and I suspect that is because it requires moon nocks which are never quite as accurate as the flat ones in my experience. I have shot cross bows since 1980 my first was home made and was designed by Geo Gerick and he helped me build it.I think it is a very interesting sport and think there is a little more to getting them tuned right especially for broad heads than most people believe.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting .... I have a Parker Tornado. I like it a heck of a lot. It is indeed compact, and for a tree stand hunter, that is nice !! As far as being a bit less accurate, if the Ten Point and Excalibur crossbows are more accurate, then all I can say is wow !!
Old 09-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

I was on a budget when I bought mine and I picked up a PSE Sidewinder from sportsmansguide.com for 320 bucks. Its 175lb bow that came with a truglow scope. To be honest I dont see what benefits any of the bows twice as expensive could offer. I hit where I want, have killed two deer with complete pass throughs and have shot abotu 100 bolts through it practicing.

I looked for bows in my price range, then i just read a ton of reviews.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by itsslow98
I was on a budget when I bought mine and I picked up a PSE Sidewinder from sportsmansguide.com for 320 bucks. Its 175lb bow that came with a truglow scope. To be honest I dont see what benefits any of the bows twice as expensive could offer. I hit where I want, have killed two deer with complete pass throughs and have shot abotu 100 bolts through it practicing.

I looked for bows in my price range, then i just read a ton of reviews.
Itsslow98: you are right a great way to get a good crossbow is by setting a price range and reading a lot of reviews.. people can just depend on making decisions on just prize range an expect to get a good quality crossbow.. I see that you have a PSE Sidewinder have you tried any other crossbows by any chance..
Old 09-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by lemoyne
I have 3 they all get used.My First was a 10 point with the accudraw 185 # pull. The second was an excalibur Exocet of 200# pull. The latest is a Parker Tornado with a 165 # pull. They are all very accurate. They have all taken deer with out any problems the 10 point is kind off long in tooth as I have had it since the middle 1980's it still shoots well and accurately but is a bit heavy so I do not use it for stalking I do use it where I might need to re-**** in the tree stand. The Exocet is an excellent long range for a bow very accurate the most accurate of the three it is wide which means I only use in open areas where there is a comparatively large tree stand or when stalking wild hogs or bear. The new Parker is very compact and quite in tight spots or small tree stands it is ideal it also is best in thick cover it is not quite as accurate as the other two and I suspect that is because it requires moon nocks which are never quite as accurate as the flat ones in my experience. I have shot cross bows since 1980 my first was home made and was designed by Geo Gerick and he helped me build it.I think it is a very interesting sport and think there is a little more to getting them tuned right especially for broad heads than most people believe.
hey lemoyne: well i can see that you have hella experience in shooting crossbows, since 1980 wow.. yes you know more then my few years of experience.. I see that you have three great crossbows, and you have basically three of which i personally like, not a bad selection there buddy... I bet you can take down all kind of deer with those crossbows..
Old 09-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Mojotex
Interesting .... I have a Parker Tornado. I like it a heck of a lot. It is indeed compact, and for a tree stand hunter, that is nice !! As far as being a bit less accurate, if the Ten Point and Excalibur crossbows are more accurate, then all I can say is wow !!
hey mojotex: Parker tornado not bad accuracy also depends on adjusting your arrows and broadheads, not only bcuz one can have a great crossbow doesn't necessarily mean that you have great accuracy there are many other factors that can impact your accuracy..
Old 09-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Famous co-owner of a main line company once said, "It's not how well it shoots, but rather how long it shoots well."

'
Old 09-15-2011, 09:28 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by awshucks
Famous co-owner of a main line company once said, "It's not how well it shoots, but rather how long it shoots well."

'
True, True couldn't say it better my self..!!!
Old 09-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I found my Excalibur Vortex on Ebay for $550 with the "right stuff" package. The bow was used one season. At first it sounded to goog to be true. But the CB arrived in perfect condition. I've had it a few years now and love it. There are deals out there if you can find them. That was by far the best money I've spent on hunting equiptment.