Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
used Titan HLX for about $500 or Barnett Jackal for around $200? starter crossbow... >

used Titan HLX for about $500 or Barnett Jackal for around $200? starter crossbow...

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

used Titan HLX for about $500 or Barnett Jackal for around $200? starter crossbow...

Old 08-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Spike

Default used Titan HLX for about $500 or Barnett Jackal for around $200? starter crossbow...

im looking at one of two bows, i have found deals locally selling the Jackals ( with bolts, quiver and reddot) for around $250,and i could trade in a pistol i have for money off, or i know a guy selling a 2009 titan hlx with bolts, case, quiver, and scope for probably around $500. im used to hunting with compund bows but want to try something different, and am looking for aa good starter bow. what would you guys suggest? pay a little extra for slightly used "better" bow or get a brand new one thats a bit cheaper?

i appreciate your guy's input, probably been in the same place as me once.

also, being a noob, i hope i dont have to post noods or gtfo

Last edited by oneball; 08-10-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ten Point the only choice,you wont be sorry!
Old 08-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by coyote170
Ten Point the only choice,you wont be sorry!
what would the real difference be? looking at the stats they dont seem to be THAT different.

175 lb vs 150 obviously, but the jackal is advertising up to 315 fps to the hlx's 300, jackal has 105 ft-lbs of ke versus 85 of the hlx... im just trying to figure out why to spend the extra money? the stats seem to favor the cheaper bow. im not arguing about which is best, just a noob trying to learn.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

I suggest you stay away from Barnett crosbows They have a tendency to explode, blow apart and numerous other problems Their customer service sucks! With the TenPoint you have a very reputable and reliable company that stands behind their product Very , very seldom do you hear of any problems with Ten Point crossbows!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:00 AM
Spike

You can't go wrong with a product made by TenPoint. A price of $500 for a 2-year old Titan Hlx is too high. You can buy a brand new one with everything you mentioned...except the case...for 600. Keep in mind...the warranty on TenPoints only covers the original owner...buy used = no warranty. Spend $100 more for new = lifetime warranty.

The Jackal is a good entry level crossbow. They get good reviews...better than some of the higher-priced Barnetts. That being said....it may not be that long before you'd want to upgrade...why not just upgrade now and get a new TenPoint?
Old 08-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by briarpatch
You can't go wrong with a product made by TenPoint. A price of $500 for a 2-year old Titan Hlx is too high. You can buy a brand new one with everything you mentioned...except the case...for 600. Keep in mind...the warranty on TenPoints only covers the original owner...buy used = no warranty. Spend $100 more for new = lifetime warranty.

The Jackal is a good entry level crossbow. They get good reviews...better than some of the higher-priced Barnetts. That being said....it may not be that long before you'd want to upgrade...why not just upgrade now and get a new TenPoint?
the guy dropped it to 400, but may go lower. i picked up the jackal for 230 while it was on sale, but im keeping it in the box until he makes up his mind. trading in a pistol i never shot ( hi point cheap crap, paid like 110 for it got 80 so i wasnt too disappointed lol) i got it out the door for 174.

i dont spend the money for the new because my wife and i agreed on a 200 budget + or minus 50 bucks. were kinda broke. and these are our anniversery gifts for each other. i get the bow she gets a dog lol
Old 08-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out the Axiom package by Excal, everything you need to hunt. Last I knew, available for <$500. Pluses: lifetime warranty, scope vs cheap red dot, doesn't need shop for maintenance.

Danny Miller, USA warranty rep sells them [740] 483-2312, phone only..........
Old 08-13-2011, 03:28 AM
Fork Horn

When you buy cheap, that's exactly what you get!! You're far better advised to save your money and buy a good quality crossbow than buying a cheap crossbow and becoming very dissatisfied with it , then get nothing for it when you upgrade.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Spike

As stated. IMO, stay away from barnett. Well worth the extra money to get the TenPoint.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by awshucks
Check out the Axiom package by Excal, everything you need to hunt. Last I knew, available for <$500. Pluses: lifetime warranty, scope vs cheap red dot, doesn't need shop for maintenance.

Danny Miller, USA warranty rep sells them [740] 483-2312, phone only..........
$489.00 at Bass Pro Shop, I have one, you can't do any better then this. Do some research on Excalibur.
Good Luck
Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.