Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Broadheads for crossbows and different angles >

Broadheads for crossbows and different angles

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Broadheads for crossbows and different angles

Old 03-08-2011, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question Broadheads for crossbows and different angles

Being a newbie to crossbows, I'd like to know:
1. if my 100 gr 3 blade muzzies from my compound bow will work on my crossbow bolts?

2. Will my hundred grain field points shoot different from the 100gr broadheads?

3. Does shooting from high in a tree effect the bolt trajectory like it does regular arrows? In other words, do I need to practice from all different angles and heights?

4. Does the limb saver stuff make a crossbow quiter? If not, what will?

5. I'll find this out from practicing if the weather ever breaks but how about the trajectory of them bolts, and how many pins do I need to shoot out to 40 yards. I know that depends on several factors but I'm just talking generalities.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockytop
Being a newbie to crossbows, I'd like to know:
1. if my 100 gr 3 blade muzzies from my compound bow will work on my crossbow bolts?

That depends on your arrow and the speed of your bow. Personally, I get best results from arrows with high FOC (16-20%) short vanes (2" Fusion or Blazers) and low profile (short) 4-balded, fixed heads (Slick Tricks).

2. Will my hundred grain field points shoot different from the 100gr broadheads?

The combo mentioned above
gives me near identical point of impacts using either

3. Does shooting from high in a tree effect the bolt trajectory like it does regular arrows? In other words, do I need to practice from all different angles and heights?

Trajectory is affected by the HORIZONTAL distance to the target (base of three to deer) height has nothing to do with it...excepting the angle at which the arrow enters the target.

4. Does the limb saver stuff make a crossbow quiter? If not, what will?

Marginally. Most stuff added to limbs or string reduce arrow speed thus making it sound a tad quieter but not so a deer can't hear it. Crossbows are by their nature louder, learn to shoot at relaxed animals within a reasonable distance (-40 yards for me).

5. I'll find this out from practicing if the weather ever breaks but how about the trajectory of them bolts, and how many pins do I need to shoot out to 40 yards. I know that depends on several factors but I'm just talking generalities.

Hard to even generalize. Trajectory depends on the length of your arrow, it's weight and speed. Generally speaking a crossbow arrow falls faster than an arrow of the same weight shot from a
vert because the latter, being longer, has a higher ballistic coefficient.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

1. Yes
2. No different than they do now.
3. No difference in a crossbow and an bow on the way they shoot. Yes, you would still need to practice the same as before.
4. It definately did mine. The type of string you use can also effect the sound.
5. 3 PINS - 20 YRD - 30 YRD - 40 YRD. Please don't think it is safe to effectively shoot farther.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by J.M.A.N.
1. Yes
2. No different than they do now.
3. No difference in a crossbow and an bow on the way they shoot. Yes, you would still need to practice the same as before.
4. It definately did mine. The type of string you use can also effect the sound.
5. 3 PINS - 20 YRD - 30 YRD - 40 YRD. Please don't think it is safe to effectively shoot farther.

I assumed that crossbows would allow me to shoot farther but from what I've read, that's not true at all.
Soon as my target gets in, I'll start practicing. By fall I should be in good shape concerning the capabilities of my crossbow. One thing that I hope will be better is my low light shooting. I injured my optic nerves many years ago and don't have good low light vision at all. In fact, with a bow and peep, I've not been able to shoot the first or last 20 minutes of legal hunting time and that's cost me several deer, couldn't see to take the shot. Hopefully, with the illuminated scope, I'll be able to shoot the full hunting day. Just another thing I got to figure out when I get my target.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Effective killing range has more to do with yer hunting area than measured yardage. I hunt on my land & very seldom do i ever have a good clear killing shot past 35 yds. Most are under 30 yds. Thats not saying my CB can't kill a deer or hog or whatever at 40 or 50 yds. I practice alot out to 50 yds & i doubt i will have a 50 yd shot here but maybe when i go to Wy. fer Antelope.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's my limited expereince using a X-Bow. Only 4 seasons worth.

I found that the broad heads that I was using with my compound did just fine. Those were Thunderhead 125's. I now use 125 gr. Montecs because they do print a tad tighter.

I practice with 125 gr. field points and fine tune with a couple of dulled Montecs. I have found minimal difference in the point of impact.

I find that as long as I am no higher than about 20' -25' of the ground, there is no reason to aim any differently than is I were on the ground, level with the target, as long as the deer is 10 or so more yards away. Very close shots, I do aim about 2" lower because in the past I have tended to hit high on these close shots.

I have found, just like with my compound, that only the downward angle of the arrow passing through the deer has to be managed. I cannot feel any less vibration nor have I noticed any appreciable reduction in the "slap" of the X-Bow regardless of the stuff I have tried. Right now I have only Limb Savers in place. Nothing in the string.

As far as distance ... I have bow hunted for about 48 years now. My most recent bow was a Matthews XQ2. I have found no appreciable increase in effective range using the X-Bow that I have now ... a Parker Tornado. My first X-Bow as a top of the line Ten Point. Same-o for it as well. The only advantage over the recurve that I broke into archery hunting using ... the compounds I have used ... and these 2 X-Bows is that in some cases I can manage to create a solid rest from which I feel more confident to make the longer shots with the X-Bow. But still ... for me, on white tails and feral hogs, about 45 yards is the outside I'll try. But that distance has always been the case and it may just be drilled into me now after these many years.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:07 AM
Fork Horn

I think if you shoot fixed broadheads you'll need to use those to sight in--there will probably be a difference between your field points and the fixed broadhead.

If you use mechanicals, not so much. I use NAP Spitfires 125-grain and I discovered early on in the process that they shot the same as the field points, so I only use the field points to sight in now and save my mechanical heads for the field. I'd assume this is the case for most mechanicals, but I'd prove it to myself first.