Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Looking for some Broadheads. >

Looking for some Broadheads.

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Looking for some Broadheads.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:04 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by gendoc
excalibur (easton) firebolts and nap spitfire 125gr mbh...
my family's stats last season...
11 shot... and 11 recovered
Seems that people like the firebolts, i can get a pack of 6 for $46, as for broadheads im not 100% yet. Probably test out the excalibur boltcutters.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might want to consider rolling your own. Az-EZ fletch is simple and inexpensive, they now offer an xbow arrow model which I know nothing about. If regular AZ, be sure to get the one for alum's, which will take 'our' carbons, carbon model is for skinny vert arrows.

We can get a doz GT's here from Wyvern creations for about $45, he will glue nocks and inserts in. not sure on prices, been a while since I bought any.

Gendoc: Respectable stat's on several fronts. Congrats.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Banned

Just cuz your buying expensive arrows/bolts doesnt mean they are going to shoot any better then OEM Easton.... Also dont waste your time with CARBON... THEY ARE junk..... They will break and when they do, you could get it in your face or if it breaks in the animal your wasting alot of meat because you cant eat it because its contaminated... Also you cant straighten CARBON but EAston aluminum you can get damn near perfectly straight to .001" from end to end.... All crossbow makers want you to shoot the 2219.... they are the best for a $4 bolt and you can straigthen them and they fly nice with a slight helic on them if you do custom fletchings...

Save yrou money and shoot the XX75 or the XX78 shafts and any of the decent fletching will work well.. Run a Spitfire or a thunderhead 100gr... I shoot my horton @ 320fps and groups 2-3" groups at 40yds ALL day long.. so what more do you want and im not spending tons of money on it either.... You dont shoot past 40 yards anyways... Once bows go past 400fps then yes shoot game at 50yds, but until then, they will jump or move and you just shot your deer in the ass, the leg or some other stupid place.. JMO
Old 06-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by MatthewUSMC
Just cuz your buying expensive arrows/bolts doesnt mean they are going to shoot any better then OEM Easton.... Also dont waste your time with CARBON... THEY ARE junk..... They will break and when they do, you could get it in your face or if it breaks in the animal your wasting alot of meat because you cant eat it because its contaminated... Also you cant straighten CARBON but EAston aluminum you can get damn near perfectly straight to .001" from end to end.... All crossbow makers want you to shoot the 2219.... they are the best for a $4 bolt and you can straigthen them and they fly nice with a slight helic on them if you do custom fletchings...

Save yrou money and shoot the XX75 or the XX78 shafts and any of the decent fletching will work well.. Run a Spitfire or a thunderhead 100gr... I shoot my horton @ 320fps and groups 2-3" groups at 40yds ALL day long.. so what more do you want and im not spending tons of money on it either.... You dont shoot past 40 yards anyways... Once bows go past 400fps then yes shoot game at 50yds, but until then, they will jump or move and you just shot your deer in the ass, the leg or some other stupid place.. JMO
Thanks for your post.

Ya i thought of doing that, i have about 12 XX75 shafts laying around and about 15 XX78 shafts. Used to use them for compound bows.
Might cut some of them down to 20" and fletch them up. For now i bought a 12 pack of easton razer bolts for 43bucks. I ordered them along with all my other stuff, isn't here yet, just had a bare bow, no string or anything, so i got a pretty big order coming in at the end of the month.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only problems I've experienced w/ carbons [Gt's L II's] in over 6 years was shooting $10 squirrels in very rocky terrain.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:54 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by awshucks
The only problems I've experienced w/ carbons [Gt's L II's] in over 6 years was shooting $10 squirrels in very rocky terrain.
Yea, some of my neighbors want me to shoot some pests and such so i got the easton razerbolts which where about 3.80 per arrow, and i got plenty of field tips laying around.

As for the arrows im going to use for hunting I'm not so sure of yet, as i can see there are plenty of options and all seem to work for the person who uses it, just gotta find what works for me.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

My 1st Excal, this go round ['05] was the Emax, also had a Paradox [google is your friend] followed w/ bow of choice, an Exocet, aka Y-25 wood stocked 25th anniversary model.

I've taken a respectable amount of game w/ those three and GT L II's. 3 deer, 4 hogs, 3 turkeys and a cow buff, all but the buff were complete pass thru's.

Never broke a carbon shaft [sans squirrels]or ate pieces of one. YMMV.

My best benched groups, 5 @ 50, were GT's w/ 2" Blazers 400 gr out of the Y-25, 1" and 1.5". No bhead tests that far for obvious reasons.

Last edited by awshucks; 06-23-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot the GT Laser out of my equinox.
I put wraps and blazers on.
From a bench if I shoot at the same spot I'm going to ruin some arrows.
Last year I used 2 blade rage heads. They were devastating. 2" plus entry and exit holes.
The way they locked into place scared me though.
This year I plan on using Swhackers!! They seem devastating as well.
I feel more confident that those blades would never open in flight.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by awshucks
My 1st Excal, this go round ['05] was the Emax, also had a Paradox [google is your friend] followed w/ bow of choice, an Exocet, aka Y-25 wood stocked 25th anniversary model.

I've taken a respectable amount of game w/ those three and GT L II's. 3 deer, 4 hogs, 3 turkeys and a cow buff, all but the buff were complete pass thru's.

Never broke a carbon shaft [sans squirrels]or ate pieces of one. YMMV.

My best benched groups, 5 @ 50, were GT's w/ 2" Blazers 400 gr out of the Y-25, 1" and 1.5". No bhead tests that far for obvious reasons.
I just bought a new equinox and gave my ibex to my brother because he started getting into it too.

Been shooting the Excalibur Firebolts out of it, been hitting pretty well. Don't have any broadheads for it yet. Will most likely be trying boltcutters, x-acts, spitfires or slick tricks.

Originally Posted by Gobble!
I shoot the GT Laser out of my equinox.
I put wraps and blazers on.
From a bench if I shoot at the same spot I'm going to ruin some arrows.
Last year I used 2 blade rage heads. They were devastating. 2" plus entry and exit holes.
The way they locked into place scared me though.
This year I plan on using Swhackers!! They seem devastating as well.
I feel more confident that those blades would never open in flight.
Thanks for your post.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:59 AM
Fork Horn

I use the NAP Spitfires. In my personal experience, they are devastating. They're also cheaper to buy than the RAGE and some others.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.