Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
First crossbow shooting experience started out as a disaster >

First crossbow shooting experience started out as a disaster

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

First crossbow shooting experience started out as a disaster

Old 03-23-2011, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Red face First crossbow shooting experience started out as a disaster

I was really excited about shooting my new Parker Hornet, did like the book said and put the target at 10 yards to start the sighting in process. I got a good brace and shot my first bolt ever and it was about 10 inches low and 2 inches left. I adjusted a little and shot again and was 6 inches low and 1 inch left. I made a large adjustment for the third shot and hit 1/2 inch high and 1/2 inch right. I figure that's close enough to progress to the 20 yard range. I went to get the bolts and for the first time I really read the words on the target, "BROADHEADS ONLY" and about the same time noticed the bolts were buried up to the flights. My next thoughts concerned the use of field tips instead of broadheads. Those bolts, with fieldtips, are still in that target and may be forever unless someone can tell me how to get them out. I got one of them grippers but couldn't get enough gription to budge them bolts. I tried some padded channel locks on one and that bolt is now history.
Refusing to give in, I went and found my 3 blade muzzies from my bowhunting days and installed them on my last 3 bolts. I simply turned the target 180 degrees to where I couldn't see the first 3 bolts and fired off my 2nd salvo of 3 bolts at 20 yards. Removing the bolts was easy and after some small adjustments I moved to 30 yards and dropped my aimpoint one circle and was dead on at 30 yards. I shot several groups and was amazed at the accuracy of my Parker Hornet. I was a little concerned about having to drop one aim point at 30 yards but I guess the cross bows have a little more arc than my old mathews. I ran out of daylight and didn't make any 40 yard shots but that's next and unless someone can tell me how to get them field tip bolts out, I'll be ordering some more bolts.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry to hear that rockytop...probably can't get them out without destroying them but I would try to anyway.

ps...we call them arrows too

Contact Dave @ Wyverns - he will get you set up right the first time.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by J.M.A.N.
Sorry to hear that rockytop...probably can't get them out without destroying them but I would try to anyway.

ps...we call them arrows too

Contact Dave @ Wyverns - he will get you set up right the first time.
That's good, when I talk to non-hunters they don't know what bolts are. Longitudinally challenged arrows sounds much better than bolts.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Danny Miller, USA warranty rep for Excal makes and sells this puller. Has padded jaws and will pull w/ grab behind fletch. Phone orders only at [740] 483-2312, about $12 [+shp]last I knew, but that was a while ago. They are the bomb esp for 3-D.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

X2 on those Plier puller i have a set & they work great. I bet you will get a bag target!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like those, I'll be giving them a try.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by smokepolehall
X2 on those Plier puller i have a set & they work great. I bet you will get a bag target!
What kind or brand of bag target is best?
Old 03-24-2011, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockytop
What kind or brand of bag target is best?
I've tried several brands, can't say they work any better (for field points) than a nylon mesh grain sack stuffed (tight) with old clothes.

http://www.crossbownation.com/forum2...-shooting-bag/

Last edited by Cossack; 03-24-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Have you tried unscrewing them from their tips?
Old 03-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jerseyhunter
Have you tried unscrewing them from their tips?
No, I didn't see how that would help?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.