Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Crossbows For Moose And Brown Bears >

Crossbows For Moose And Brown Bears

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbows For Moose And Brown Bears

Old 03-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't call 290ish fast by todays standards. I could be getting 330 Fps if I wanted it, I don't.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:01 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Huntr2
Agreed, like I say a fast hard hitting bow, faster allows for a larger broadhead if needed to get the extra K/E.
Once again; ...Deleted by CalHunter...

See rule # 12. Members are not allowed to attack other members. You can disagree, have different opinions, etc. but you are not allowed to attack other members.
CalHunter

Last edited by CalHunter; 03-20-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I ain't shot a moose nor a Bear but i have killed some hogs in my time that were built like a Tank. Using my vixen & a 595 gr arrow 2216 Magnus Snuffer 125 at 80+ KE, it will certainly go thru a moose or bear & i am not a computer expert directors chair sitter.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by OneBear
Once again; ...Deleted by CalHunter...
Agreed thats why I said it was a chart from experts and I personally like a fast hard hitting bow that has about 100 K/E. You cant just go buy what some company puts in a chart. Thats what i said from the first post.

Last edited by CalHunter; 03-17-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think if you do a little scut work, you'll find your [their] 'K/E' chart predates even compound verts.

100 lbs k.e. on deer is a $12 joke every time you shoot one. it's easier to get last years taxes back than find the arrow[s].
Old 03-17-2011, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by awshucks
I think if you do a little scut work, you'll find your [their] 'K/E' chart predates even compound verts.
100 lbs k.e. on deer is a $12 joke every time you shoot one. it's easier to get last years taxes back than find the arrow[s].
Since you apparently took a swipe at me along with Hunter.....

Guess everyone has a bellybutton on this issue 'shucks. I prefer a bit faster arrow for the flatter trajectory, yet want the KE just in case I hit the shoulder. That said, my Excals shoot a 405 gr arrows just over 300 and 320 fps, respectively; the compound shoots a 445 gr at 345. Making my own arrows, keeps the price down and I can't make any more if I don't lose em. Finding them has not been a problem so far, however. Besides, I seriously doubt your slightly slower arrow is any easier to find ...if buried in forest duff.

BTW finished my taxes (both fed and state) in about an hour yesterday and e-filed in seconds. Some things change, my friend.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Cossack
Since you apparently took a swipe at me along with Hunter.....

Guess everyone has a bellybutton on this issue 'shucks. I prefer a bit faster arrow for the flatter trajectory, yet want the KE just in case I hit the shoulder. That said, my Excals shoot a 405 gr arrows just over 300 and 320 fps, respectively; the compound shoots a 445 gr at 345. Making my own arrows, keeps the price down and I can't make any more if I don't lose em. Finding them has not been a problem so far, however. Besides, I seriously doubt your slightly slower arrow is any easier to find ...if buried in forest duff.

BTW finished my taxes (both fed and state) in about an hour yesterday and e-filed in seconds. Some things change, my friend.
I agree with Cossack, a pass through on a great shot is a path through at 200 fps or 380 fps. A faster bow allows the hunter to choose from many arrow options and have flexability with broadheads and FOC if you choose. I will take the fast bow for hunting for many reasons.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OneBear
Charts don't mean squat!! Get the advice of an experienced crossbow hunter who has actually taken critters the size of buffalo, moose and African Game . Following the advice of somebody who has done nothing but sat behind a computer, pretending to be an expert is not the way to go.

I sugguest you contact Bill Trobridge , the President and Owner of Excalibur Crossbows. He has taken many large animals up to and including an elephant, I'm sure hw will be glad to pass on his recommendations to you. They will definitely be valid recommendations.
You can contact him through the Excalibur Website or forum
Hmmm,that has a bearish tone to it.Good point,just my thoughts.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

I took a black bear and got a complete pass thru with my vixen. It was only 20 yards away mind you.

Depends on how far your planning on shooting as well.