Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Crossbows For Moose And Brown Bears >

Crossbows For Moose And Brown Bears

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbows For Moose And Brown Bears

Old 03-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Spike

Default Crossbows For Moose And Brown Bears

Since I am looking into getting a handicapped permit to use a crossbow, and the Advisory Commitee found out, I have been tasked with writing a new proposal to send to the Game Board, for crossbows to use here in Alaska. I know very little about crossbows, and have only used vertical archery equipment.

The animals we hunt range from foxes to Brown Bears. Now I know my little 45# recurve will take a Black Bear, Wolf, or a Caribou. But I don't want to use it for Moose or Grizzly Bears. Let alone those big monster Brown Bears down on the coast. So I don't expect a one size fits all here. What I need is info on what you guys would use to hunt these animals. Also conditions in Alaska is far differant from hunting in the lower 48.

Seems I read somewhere a few years ago that you needed a minimum of 350FPS to hunt Grizzly or Brown Bears. Can't remember where I read that. For the average Moose in Alaska think of the biggest Elk you ever saw on steroids. The big boys are even bigger, think of a Clysdale.

If we make Crossbows legal, the general public is going to use them for everything they can. We don't need to have some guy go out with an inadiquate crossbow and after shooting a bolt into a Brown Bear, getting eaten.

Also aiming or sighting devices. Peep site, Red dots, Non-Magnification Scopes, or full blown Scopes. Which would be best? All info would be appreciated.

Rog Hunter
Old 03-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

While velocity (fps) may be a readily enforceable standard, I personally feel the kinetic energy is a better measure for what it takes to kill an animal, esp of the size specified. IMO, while less can get it done, 100# KE is required to harvest deer humanely. I'd want at least that much for moose and significantly more for brown bear.
As for sights, I would not put any limitations on use of same. Given that any archery is a close up endeavor, a magnifying scope won't make any difference as to how far an archer can shoot. It would seem that accurate shooting is not just desirable but essential here. Most quality crossbow scopes now have multiple aim points on their reticule, whose spacing can be varied-by changing the magnification-to match the arrow's trajectory, thus they can definitely make a big difference to precise arrow placement over open sights, non-magnifying scopes or red dots or reflex sights.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Chart

I checked several sources and here is the chart they give for ther energy needed to take certain game. Just remember the longer the shot the slower the arrow is going which lowers the K/E. Personally I would want the hardest hitting for most game in case the shot isnt perfect.

Recommended Arrow Energy For Bow Hunting
25 ft. lbs. Small Game
25-41 ft. lbs. Medium Game (Deer, Antelope)
42-65 ft. lbs. Large Game (Elk, Black Bear, Wild Boar)
65 ft. lbs. Toughest Game (Cape Buffalo, Grizzly)
Old 03-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Miss Vixen 150 lb will generate over 65 lbs using 375 gr arrow 290 fps, the key to this KE is having a heavy arrow in bigger game!
Old 03-15-2011, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Huntr2
I checked several sources and here is the chart they give for ther energy needed to take certain game. Just remember the longer the shot the slower the arrow is going which lowers the K/E. Personally I would want the hardest hitting for most game in case the shot isnt perfect.

Recommended Arrow Energy For Bow Hunting
25 ft. lbs. Small Game
25-41 ft. lbs. Medium Game (Deer, Antelope)
42-65 ft. lbs. Large Game (Elk, Black Bear, Wild Boar)
65 ft. lbs. Toughest Game (Cape Buffalo, Grizzly)

You first.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Cossack
[/B]
You first.
Thats why I said " I personally like more" for any distance and the not perfect hit. Most know I like a fast hard hitting bow which translate to lots of K/E. We are fortunate, in the days of traditional archery there was not much choice. I will take 100 plus for all game deer and larger. I was just posting what the "professionals" say.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:30 AM
Fork Horn

Charts don't mean squat!! Get the advice of an experienced crossbow hunter who has actually taken critters the size of buffalo, moose and African Game . Following the advice of somebody who has done nothing but sat behind a computer, pretending to be an expert is not the way to go.

I sugguest you contact Bill Trobridge , the President and Owner of Excalibur Crossbows. He has taken many large animals up to and including an elephant, I'm sure hw will be glad to pass on his recommendations to you. They will definitely be valid recommendations.
You can contact him through the Excalibur Website or forum
Old 03-16-2011, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by OneBear
Charts don't mean squat!! Get the advice of an experienced crossbow hunter who has actually taken critters the size of buffalo, moose and African Game . Following the advice of somebody who has done nothing but sat behind a computer, pretending to be an expert is not the way to go.

I sugguest you contact Bill Trobridge , the President and Owner of Excalibur Crossbows. He has taken many large animals up to and including an elephant, I'm sure hw will be glad to pass on his recommendations to you. They will definitely be valid recommendations.
You can contact him through the Excalibur Website or forum
Again this is why I like a fast hard hitting bow thats rated about 100 K/E. So many want to know what the experts say, thats there chart not mine.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for k.e. rather than equipment limits. The elephant mentioned above was taken w/ 900 gr arrow at about 250 fps for about 125 # k.e. Same guy took two moose w/ a 150# Vixen at a k.e. of about 67, and I shot a 1000 3 cow buff, cut rib in two off side, 446 gr arrow at 290ish for 83# k.e. My bhead was a slick trick Mag, elephant was two blade, can't help on rest. Good luck!

I'm confidant my buff rig would kill one of your bears graveyard dead if I took the shot I'd wait for.

Last edited by awshucks; 03-16-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by awshucks
Another vote for k.e. rather than equipment limits. The elephant mentioned above was taken w/ 900 gr arrow at about 250 fps for about 125 # k.e. Same guy took two moose w/ a 150# Vixen at a k.e. of about 67, and I shot a 1000 3 cow buff, cut rib in two off side, 446 gr arrow at 290ish for 83# k.e. My bhead was a slick trick Mag, elephant was two blade, can't help on rest. Good luck!

I'm confidant my buff rig would kill one of your bears graveyard dead if I took the shot I'd wait for.
Agreed, like I say a fast hard hitting bow, faster allows for a larger broadhead if needed to get the extra K/E.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.