Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Migration to crossbows......age >

Migration to crossbows......age

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Migration to crossbows......age

Old 03-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Migration to crossbows......age

I been bow hunting for over 40 years, it is my most enjoyable aspect of deer hunting for numerous reasons that I won't get in to. But, due to arthritis, bursititus, and other unnamed calamities and injuries , I can no longer pull my bow back enough times to keep in good form. I can get it back a couple of times but more tries than that and the next day I can't pull it back at all. I backed off the poundage but it really didn't help. My two options, give up the bow season or switch to crossbows which is legal here in Tennessee during bow season. I still love to deer hunt so I bought me a new Parker Hornet Extreme Crossbow. I was looking at the wicked ridge bows but I like the narrowness of the Hornet Extreme. I've just got it and it hasn't quit raining to allow me to shoot it plus I need to get a target that will handle a crossbow.
I've not told my bow buddies, I'm sure they will give me hell but to hell with them, a man has to do what he has to do to hunt and enjoy himself. I'm sure I'll enjoy crossbow hunting just as much as bow hunting but I'll miss my bow shooting evenings with my friends.
I've been shooting my Mathews Q2 for about 11 years I think, I never replaced it because I've yet to see a bow that made me want to get rid of the old Q2. I guess I should sell the Mathews, if not, I'll be tempted to pull it out and mess my shoulders up.
Anyway, I'll meet some new folks on the crossbow forum and hopefully next fall, we'll all be bragging about our kills.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

The hunting part is the same. The shooting part isn't much different and you're doing the deer a favor. If you can't shoot enough to be accurate, one should have enough respect for the game to either quit or try another weapon. That's the reason I quit using a handgun for hunting deer. Crossbows are keeping me in the game at 70+; had to stop using a vert (both shoulders cut and back-twice).
No doubt you'll find that effective crossbow distance isn't any further than your vert and you'll still have to shoot as accurately. But at least you'll be able to do so. If your hunting buddies can't understand that, there are lots of us out here that do.
Best of luck
Old 03-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Typical Buck

Been through the arthritis stuff myself. Two shoulder surgeries and two hip replacements later and I still hunt. It wasn't easy to switch from my Hoyt to the crossbow but what ya gonna do. Quiting hunting wasn't an option. Don't feel bad, just enjoy!!!!

Good Hunting!
Old 03-07-2011, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
Been through the arthritis stuff myself. Two shoulder surgeries and two hip replacements later and I still hunt. It wasn't easy to switch from my Hoyt to the crossbow but what ya gonna do. Quiting hunting wasn't an option. Don't feel bad, just enjoy!!!!

Good Hunting!
X2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2011, 04:49 AM
Spike

Welcome to the not growing old gracefully club. I too have run into some of these gents that think they will be 50 forever, and in spite of their attitude I do wish them well.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Lower Forty Boy
Welcome to the not growing old gracefully club. I too have run into some of these gents that think they will be 50 forever, and in spite of their attitude I do wish them well.
I appreciate the kind words and I mean to keep on enjoying my bowhunting season with a crossbow.
Old People Rule
Old 03-09-2011, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

Switched to crossbow two years ago....have never looked back! Much better on my shoulders too!

Wish you the best with your new endeavor and I am sure you will enjoy your Parker Hornet. I considered one before purchasing my Excalibur.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Typical Buck

I'm only 38 and am making the leap this year. I'll keep my compound for hunting elk in Colorado, but her in NC they just made the crossbow legal, so why not. Any risk I can remove to make a clean kill, I will do. I believe I'll enjoy it just as much.

I should note, I'm also an avid rifle hunter during gun season. The hardcore, bow only hunters, are the ones that give others grief for using the ole string rifle.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:28 AM
Spike

Default Welcome

To the Parker family and to crossbow hunting. I remember when I first switched to a crossbow, after not being able to bow hunt due to herniated discs in my neck and some resultant nerve damage. I was at a party, and told a friend of mine that I'd be back in the fall woods with a crossbow. Now, I've known and hunted with him for
15 years....he actually turned his head away and would not look at me or talk to me. I ignored his ignorance then, and do so today when faced with it from others.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by briarpatch
To the Parker family and to crossbow hunting. I remember when I first switched to a crossbow, after not being able to bow hunt due to herniated discs in my neck and some resultant nerve damage. I was at a party, and told a friend of mine that I'd be back in the fall woods with a crossbow. Now, I've known and hunted with him for
15 years....he actually turned his head away and would not look at me or talk to me. I ignored his ignorance then, and do so today when faced with it from others.

you know tha old say'n briarpatch...

!@#%'um an feed'um fish heads......

Last edited by gendoc; 05-28-2011 at 03:05 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.