HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Narrow bow recomendations (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/338466-narrow-bow-recomendations.html)

Walleye65 01-16-2011 06:26 AM

Narrow bow recomendations

After shooting a Crossbow for the first time last week, all I can say is WOW !!!
With Indiana on the brink of possibly expanding Crossbow usage.....we are very excited to start the process of becoming crossbow hunters.
My problem:
After extensive research on multiple forums, it appears the Ecaliburs are a no-brainer for a variety of reasons.
But.....the wingspan will prove difficult for us. All my stands are high, but they are enclosed gun stands with shooting windows. I will modify for crossbow hunting but a narrow (axle to axle) crossbow will make this easier.
We can spend upwards of $800-900 for a package if needed (but $600 sounds better).
I want to do it right the first time with a very high quality, DURABLE package. My son and I both will be shooting this so this Crossbow will probably get a workout.
I've looked at the T/P Turbo XLT, the Horton Ultra-Lite Express, and that is all we had access to.
Short axle to axle crossbows....any thoughts ???????

coyote170 01-16-2011 07:00 AM

Call David at Wyvern Creations 603 659 0575 a great source of information
no pressure selling and the best advice,prices,and service you will ever find
anywhere you wont be sorry you called.

Walleye65 01-16-2011 07:45 AM

Yes...I know....i will call David soon as he seems very highly thought of on this forum. Something I'm sure he has earned.
But....i was still hoping for some forum insight, thoughts, feedback, etc, on short limb crossbows.

coyote170 01-16-2011 09:22 AM

I shoot two types of bows from Ten Point,a GT Curve,and a Defender
CLS.For a compound the Defender is everything you could want in
a compound bow fast(336fps) and does it great!The Curve is my favorite use it in my ground blind and just a very accurate bow!
Will be hog hunting soon and will use the Defender!

awshucks 01-16-2011 10:37 AM

I live in 'the sticks' and partially for that reason, shoot Excals. I can do my own maintenance w/o bow monkey. I have had two of their partnered effort w/ Bear archery compound types called Paradox [Can] and Maxpoint [USA]. Avail '01-'04.

I don't know the axle to axle width on them, just that they were much narrower than the recurve models.

I, personally, didn't notice the diff's that much.

I did attend an event in Ms a few years ago that had: Horton, 10 pt, Parker, and Bnetts available. I spent a day helping kids shoot xbows, and the 'pick of that litter' was the Parker 'Buck Buster' or similar name, memory ain't what it used to be.

While Cabelas and Bass Pro are great places to compare models, they usually can be beat price wise.

X2 on David at Wyverns, he had a closeout deal a while back on the Parker BB's.

Good luck, have fun!

liquidorange 01-16-2011 10:53 AM

owning an excalibur and a horton trt ultalite i can tell you the horton is way more fun in the tree stand. width does matter alot. i wish they made a recurve xbow shorter in width. even if they had to cut the speeds a little. the excalibur stock is blocky and feels hefty.wish they had a light weight tactical stock for there models or at least something more stream lined and lighter in weight.

smokepolehall 01-16-2011 05:15 PM

Parker Enforcer 160 isn't a bad Bow & price isn't bad either. Will shoot around 300 fps

Walleye65 01-16-2011 06:27 PM

Liquid Orange...How has the Horton Ultra lite held up for you? As i said earlier, ours will get shot alot by myself and my 12 yr old son. Is a Ten Point Turbo that much better? Other names have been brought up. I was hoping to determine the best one or two (short limb) bows, then discuss with David as well, and decide.
If one wants a recurve style...Excal wins hands down.
If one wants the shortest axle to axle compound, is it as cut and dried?

As the bow becomes narrower, do they get more tempermental? Seems like trying to get the 300 ish fps out of something with such short limbs, maybe shorter power stroke, means a much more aggresive (on the ragged edge) type of bow?

Ranger Danger 01-16-2011 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by liquidorange (Post 3758755)
owning an excalibur and a horton trt ultalite i can tell you the horton is way more fun in the tree stand. width does matter alot. i wish they made a recurve xbow shorter in width. even if they had to cut the speeds a little. the excalibur stock is blocky and feels hefty.wish they had a light weight tactical stock for there models or at least something more stream lined and lighter in weight.

My dad has the Horton Ultralite, and it's pretty incredible. Short, narrow, and accurate as all get out. He really enjoys it.

Rob96 01-16-2011 11:42 PM

The Buck Buster 175 is an awsome bow. I shot several models and settle on this one being the best for me. ZCall Dave at Wyvern he is an incredible deal going on the Buck Buster 175 right now because Parker is closing them out.