Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
What crossbow to consider? >

What crossbow to consider?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

What crossbow to consider?

Old 12-04-2010, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also support calling Dave, he's very knowledgeable and easy to talk with.
Whatever you do, try shooting as many bows as possible. Bow fit is a very personal thing and what works for one may not be best for you. Things to consider in addition to price: Warranty, company reputation for honoring it and customer service. Availability of support:You'll need a press to service most compounds; a simple 'stringer' for a recurve like Excal. Will you need a mechanical assist to **** the bow? Some bows have them others don't. Trigger, anything over 4 lbs pull is too much for best accuracy. Have to shoot it to let it down, or simply let it down with rope ****er? Reputation for trouble free longevity. Most new purchasers LOVE their new bow...any new bow! How about a year or two from now...after having shot it say 500 times?
BTW, bow speed is highly hyped and highly overrated. Speed kills...both game and bows. Faster bows tend to break down more frequently, are harder on string and other components, arrows and targets. IMO 280-320 fps is more than enough for most hunting purposes.
I've owned 5 bows, currently hunt with 3; make my own strings and arrows. If I had to choose just one it would undoubtedly be the Excalibur Vortex. One tough, simple to maintain-yet accurate- bow. It's no wonder Excal is dubbed "The 4 wheeler of bows."
Old 12-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Spike

any buddy shoot a kobabow
Old 12-27-2010, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

Wait for the 2011 models, then shoulder as many as you can in your price range. Huntr2
Old 12-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by OneBear
Do yourself a favor and call David at Wyvern Creations : 603-659-0575
It will be the best phone call you ever made!
agreed call David, look at the wicked ridge invader!