Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Dad's first crossbow kill >

Dad's first crossbow kill

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Dad's first crossbow kill

Old 10-30-2010, 03:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default Dad's first crossbow kill

Well first of all let me say I'm sorry for breaking the man rule because I have no pics!

Anyway, my dad got a Barnette Quad 400 package this year and I know a lot of guys on here don't like them but it was the best he could afford at the time. He is shooting Rage 125 grain 2 blades.

Yesterday he took a shot at a nice doe at 40 yards and he said the shot sounded really funny, like it it went through a bucket of water. Obviously he gut shot her. I love him dearly, but old dad is so impatient when it comes to tracking game. He has primarily been a gun hunter all his life and he is used to squeezing the trigger, smoking a cig and going to get his deer. That's fine when you're shooting a TC Omega and you blow the heart out of it's opposite shoulder! Anyway, much to my displeasure, dad employs damn near the same tactic on this gut shot deer! I could've choked him! After about 20 minutes or so he gets down and finds his arrow, covered in what he called "funny colored blood" and he starts on the blood trail. Gets about 50 yards in the woods and jumps her up! He did have the presence of mind to back out and leave at that point. I told him she probably ran to the next county and wished him luck on that tracking job! He waited an hour or so and got his buddy and they went and found her about 400 yards from where he jumped her.

I went through all that not to say dad is a bad hunter, I just wanted to give you a little of the story. Though it was a bad shot, that Rage broadhead literally GUTTED that doe. They followed a massive blood trail standing up walking at a nice pace. NO bending over to find a drop, no hands and knees looking for a spec, a trail that looked like someone was carrying a 5 gallon bucket of blood with a hole in it! When they got to her, there was stuff (I'll leave it at that) hanging out of the exit hole!

What an amazing broadhead and I'm glad he found her!

Good luck fellas!
Old 10-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to him on the deer!
Old 10-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad too hear they recovered the deer congrats
Old 10-30-2010, 06:24 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations! You're a great son!
Old 11-01-2010, 03:23 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys!
Old 11-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Spike

i am so impress with your story. your such a loving son. i wish i could spend time with my dad in hunting. and take some picture of it, you such have an amazing experience in your life. that's wonderful.