Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
STS on excalibur crossbow >

STS on excalibur crossbow

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

STS on excalibur crossbow

Old 10-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Spike

Default STS on excalibur crossbow

has anyone put a string stopper system on an excalibur crossbow and if so how much did it quiet the bow
Old 10-07-2010, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I made my own for all three of my bows. They mostly give me peace of mind in case of partial dryfire. They do reduce vibration a bit but noise is not significantly reduced. To do that you must shoot a heavier (slower) arrow, use a thicker string with cat whiskers. And even then it won't be anywhere as quiet as a vertical bow; simply because the pull weight of a crossbow is at least twice as great.
Attached Thumbnails STS on excalibur crossbow-2010_08_01_11_58_47_rs_rs.jpg  

Last edited by Cossack; 10-07-2010 at 06:11 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

I just took a pair of the Sims Limb dampeners and put one on the end of each limb where the string just barely touches it when un****ed . Probably slows my arrow down but it quietens it a little
Old 10-11-2010, 08:14 AM
Spike

Using the sts system on my excal exocet. I did not have to change the varizone scope at all for yardage so if there is a decrease in speed at all it is not enough to change my trajectory. As for noise it made quite a bit of difference on my bow.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by aaronhome27
Using the sts system on my excal exocet. I did not have to change the varizone scope at all for yardage so if there is a decrease in speed at all it is not enough to change my trajectory. As for noise it made quite a bit of difference on my bow.
I didn't notice a lot of noise reduction on my Emax when I installed one, but the following arrow flight through scope was worth the price of admission to me, along w/ lack of limb damage in the event of a dry fire w/ FFF string. YMMV.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by xbowbarry
I just took a pair of the Sims Limb dampeners and put one on the end of each limb where the string just barely touches it when un****ed . Probably slows my arrow down but it quietens it a little
Slowed my Equinox by 15 fps when I tried it...more than I could handle for the little noise reduction I got in return.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:31 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by awshucks
I didn't notice a lot of noise reduction on my Emax when I installed one, but the following arrow flight through scope was worth the price of admission to me, along w/ lack of limb damage in the event of a dry fire w/ FFF string. YMMV.

The reduction of noise that I can really tell the difference in is when I have someone else shoot my bow while I am 20 yards away. With the sts it made a pretty good difference of down range noise.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by aaronhome27
The reduction of noise that I can really tell the difference in is when I have someone else shoot my bow while I am 20 yards away. With the sts it made a pretty good difference of down range noise.
Never tried that and I get my hearing aids from the Gubbmint, lol. I can tell you this, w/ my now departed Emax, a Boo string, STS, 446 gr arrows was as good as it got in a few years of experimenting w/ it. YMMV.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good as they may be at silencing noise (for our ears), don't come even close to what a deer can hear. Last night I tested that on a nanny the was some 40 yards out by removing the rubber band that holds my monopod in place. The noise was barely perceptible to my ears, a gentle swish, she heard it laud and clear. On another one I barely tapped an arrow in my quiver. Same thing. Anyone who thinks that noise suppressors on crossbows will keep deer from hearing the shot is deluded or hasn't tested it.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I put a set on my Phoenix and they did reduce the noise & vibration some, but I didn't leave them on.

I also removed the DBs from the bow. (I hate to fool with removing the pads when I store it unstrung)

All I use for noise reduction is a Boo string with catwhiskers.

Keep shots withing reasonable range and it doesn't matter if the bow is loud.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.