Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Cheap Bow,  Good Deer. >

Cheap Bow, Good Deer.

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Cheap Bow, Good Deer.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:20 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default Cheap Bow, Good Deer.

I posted about this deer yesterday in the white tail forum, but I am reposting here for a reason. I want a nice bow. An expensive bow. But I can't justify the expense to myself. I have some nice rifles, and this year I spent a couple hundred dollars to put some nice glass on one of those rifles. But I am still not in a position to spend 600-1200 dollars on a crossbow.
In 2002 I decided to start hunting again. I used to use a PSE compound bow but my shoulder is blown and I can't draw one any more. I had just purchased a new home and my monthly payments were a constant challenge. I got the only "decent" cross bow that I could afford. I bought a Horton Steelforce 150 lb recurve. I believe I paid $129 for the bow and 6 arrows. Before I stopped hunting in the mid 90's, I had hunted for 6 years spending countless hours in the woods and I had never killed a deer.
That first year with my crossbow, I took a small (really small) doe from 33 yds. The next year I took another doe with it and took a button during rifle season.
Over the last 8 years I have taken a handful of doe with the crossbow but no bucks. In fact, last year I killed my first Buck with a shot gun. A little 3 pointer.
This week I had the stars align themselves just right and I took a nice 7 pointer.
I am posting this again because I know from reading here the last few days, that there are lots of guys like me who maybe can't afford a $550 + bow, or maybe they could....maybe they could justify it to their wives but just can't justify it to themselves yet. Perhaps, like me, they think they will make do with what they have and upgrade 5-10 years from now. I really want a new bow. I shot a parker a couple years ago and it was absolutely wonderful. But my cheesy little Horton Steelforce that only pushes an arrow 240 fps ( with a nice tail wind) has put a lot of meat in the freezer and on the table in this house. And I have a decent set of antlers with it this year. I am crossing my fingers and hoping that I can take a couple more before I wear this thing out.
Attached Thumbnails Cheap Bow,  Good Deer.-7pointsmall2.jpg  
Old 10-22-2010, 08:04 AM
Spike

congratulations
Old 10-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

good job! How accurate is it becuase the pic looks like a gut shot unless he was severly quartering. Not saying that I have not made bad shots or trying to start anything.

Im just curious what size groups you get with that cheap crossbow (esp at 20 yards) since I am considering buying one.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:52 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

He was facing me for about minute or two just standing there sniffing where I had spread doe pee. Then then he either heard me or somehow sensed that something was amiss because he quickly did a uturn to the right and started walking away. HE was stepping out of that u-turn shape when I squeezed off on him. Entered back on his side, exited the chest on the other side. He didn't run far. Get very accurate groups at 20 and 25 yards. He was only about 10-15 yrds from me. The first deer I took with it was at about 33 yards down a very steep hill. I think that was pushing to it's limits. When target shooting you can easily put most of your arrows in a pie plate at 25 yds. I found the accuracy to go up since I switched to a slightly longer carbon arrow
Old 10-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice deer - congratulations!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2010, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

Nice deer!!! And as far as your equipment, If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!! That goes for the old army camo too. Congrats!!!!!
Old 10-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Spike

That dude is TALL!
Old 10-29-2010, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats. The cost of the bow has little to do with how well it's used. I have a fried who buys nothing but the best (2 Coopers with $800 scopes...to 'hunt' prairie dogs). Paid $700 to outfit himself with a crossbow. Missed the first buck he shot at; used the wrong aim point in the reticule. Never practices. Came out to prove that it's was the bows fault; couldn't hit squat (flinching). Using his bow I hit kill-zone shots on targets at 20 through 50..including a called hit on (the nose) of the 30 yard target. It's about hunting, practice and knowing the limits of your gear.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Spike

wow...what a shot, you did a good job buddy. actually it doesn't matter if you have an expensive bow or just a cheap bow. what matters is, how you strike. congrats for job well done.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

Congratulations!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.