HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Excal Dry Fire (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/332377-excal-dry-fire.html)

xbowbarry 10-21-2010 08:32 AM

Excal Dry Fire

We were showing a friend of mines wife how to shoot my crossbow a couple weeks ago because she had expressed some interest in going hunting. My brother ****ed it and placed the arrow on it for her several times to show her how it was done and she shot it rather well, hitting the dot each time. She was on her own after that. Then I heard that unmistakable sound of a dryfire. She instantly said "I don't where that arrow went." I proceeded to tell her the arrow was laying on the bench beside her as she had never loaded it. The only thing damaged was her pride as we checked over the Excal and shot it some more.
Thanks Excalibur for such a fine piece of equipment!

Cossack 10-22-2010 04:47 AM

It's no wonder they are called the 4-wheeler of bows! One and a partial for me (so far) hoping that a strict shooting routine prevents more: **** bow, set safety, insert arrow, etc EVERT TIME. That and avoid distracted shooting, all three of the dryfires I've witnessed happened while the shooter was distracted: talking, answering phone, drinking beer.

ranger56528 10-24-2010 05:53 PM

Yep that yappin will get ya sooner or later heeheehee.......I joined the Club at Cossacks'..........

wabi 10-24-2010 06:16 PM

I don't c*** mine until I'm ready to load an arrow and shoot, and I'm not ready to shoot if someone is talking to me. (the only exception is when I c*** it before getting in a tree stand)

I've had more than one dry-fire over the years and every one happened when someone was distracting me. :s4:

J.M.A.N. 11-07-2010 12:43 PM

While I have never dry fired my Excal, I am glad you had a favorable outcome.

sits in trees 11-07-2010 12:46 PM

Excals are hard to hurt, they can even be used as a pick axe...

Paoutdoorsman 11-24-2010 04:55 PM

That is the one plus of my Barnett buck commander, anti-dry fire system that is very effective, if the bolt is even misnoched slightly it won't let you flip the safety off.

awshucks 11-24-2010 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Paoutdoorsman (Post 3728378)
That is the one plus of my Barnett buck commander, anti-dry fire system that is very effective, if the bolt is even misnoched slightly it won't let you flip the safety off.

That plus can turn into a minus if you want to lower the string at the end of your hunt w/ rope c0cker quietly.

Compounds need ADF's more than recurves. Among other things, lol.

Cossack 11-25-2010 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Paoutdoorsman (Post 3728378)

Actually, lot's of shooters have dry fired their compounds when the arrow is inserted past the ADF but not all the way back to string.
In most cases it was disastrous to their bow. Another malady is casued when the string is pulled up to the ADF but not all the way back to the pawls (hooks) causing them to activate but not capture the string. It results in a "hunt-over" for folks who don't know what to do to fix it.
With or without ADF, the most useful singular device to prevent a dry fire is an (engaged) brain.

JOE PA 11-26-2010 05:27 AM

Uh Huh.

My son did that once to his Vixen too. No damage other than pride and a good reminder for future use.