Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Excal Dry Fire

Old 10-21-2010, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default Excal Dry Fire

We were showing a friend of mines wife how to shoot my crossbow a couple weeks ago because she had expressed some interest in going hunting. My brother ****ed it and placed the arrow on it for her several times to show her how it was done and she shot it rather well, hitting the dot each time. She was on her own after that. Then I heard that unmistakable sound of a dryfire. She instantly said "I don't where that arrow went." I proceeded to tell her the arrow was laying on the bench beside her as she had never loaded it. The only thing damaged was her pride as we checked over the Excal and shot it some more.
Thanks Excalibur for such a fine piece of equipment!
Old 10-22-2010, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's no wonder they are called the 4-wheeler of bows! One and a partial for me (so far) hoping that a strict shooting routine prevents more: **** bow, set safety, insert arrow, etc EVERT TIME. That and avoid distracted shooting, all three of the dryfires I've witnessed happened while the shooter was distracted: talking, answering phone, drinking beer.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep that yappin will get ya sooner or later heeheehee.......I joined the Club at Cossacks'..........
Old 10-24-2010, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't c*** mine until I'm ready to load an arrow and shoot, and I'm not ready to shoot if someone is talking to me. (the only exception is when I c*** it before getting in a tree stand)

I've had more than one dry-fire over the years and every one happened when someone was distracting me.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

While I have never dry fired my Excal, I am glad you had a favorable outcome.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

Excals are hard to hurt, they can even be used as a pick axe...
Old 11-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Spike

That is the one plus of my Barnett buck commander, anti-dry fire system that is very effective, if the bolt is even misnoched slightly it won't let you flip the safety off.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Paoutdoorsman
That is the one plus of my Barnett buck commander, anti-dry fire system that is very effective, if the bolt is even misnoched slightly it won't let you flip the safety off.
That plus can turn into a minus if you want to lower the string at the end of your hunt w/ rope c0cker quietly.

Compounds need ADF's more than recurves. Among other things, lol.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Paoutdoorsman
Actually, lot's of shooters have dry fired their compounds when the arrow is inserted past the ADF but not all the way back to string.
In most cases it was disastrous to their bow. Another malady is casued when the string is pulled up to the ADF but not all the way back to the pawls (hooks) causing them to activate but not capture the string. It results in a "hunt-over" for folks who don't know what to do to fix it.
With or without ADF, the most useful singular device to prevent a dry fire is an (engaged) brain.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Red face Uh Huh.

My son did that once to his Vixen too. No damage other than pride and a good reminder for future use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.