Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Can a riflescope be used on a crossbow???? >

Can a riflescope be used on a crossbow????

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Can a riflescope be used on a crossbow????

Old 10-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default Can a riflescope be used on a crossbow????

Scopes with magnification just became legal here in Bama. Was thinking of taking my red dot scope off and putting a 4X rifle scope on. Will this work??? Is there enought adjustment for it to work??? Thanks, Scott Woody
Old 10-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot them on mine over the yrs. Just remember to get yer same cheek weld as the parallax is set fer a rifle
Old 10-19-2010, 07:17 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

That's just about all I use on my crossbows. Keep you eye in the center and it is very precise. The parallax difference is minor at archery distances and becomes a much larger problem at longer varmint rifle distances.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys!!!
Old 10-23-2010, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

And a quality scope with fully multi coated lenses will give you great light transmission. Most crossbow scopes do not have them.

Last edited by Cossack; 10-23-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:29 AM
Spike

yup, put a 4x fixed scope on mine and it works great, or at least i think it does. have not had a good shot yet, except for a doe with two real tiny fawns came by me at 15 yrds. no way i could have shot her. those little fellers were cute as heck and still tryin to nurse. i set mine at thirty yards on my parker enforcer and it is dead on. i shot it at twenty yards and it shoots exactly five inches high so if one sneaks in that close i will just aim lower to hopefully put it in the boiler room. don't really want to chance a shot and wounded animal at longer distances except for maybe a hog or yote. good luck, good huntin. JJ
Old 10-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by justjames
yup, put a 4x fixed scope on mine and it works great, or at least i think it does. have not had a good shot yet, except for a doe with two real tiny fawns came by me at 15 yrds. no way i could have shot her. those little fellers were cute as heck and still tryin to nurse. i set mine at thirty yards on my parker enforcer and it is dead on. i shot it at twenty yards and it shoots exactly five inches high so if one sneaks in that close i will just aim lower to hopefully put it in the boiler room. don't really want to chance a shot and wounded animal at longer distances except for maybe a hog or yote. good luck, good huntin. JJ
If it's 4" high at 20 it may be just a tad high at 10 too. IMO it's best to sight a scope in at the distance I shoot most often: dead on at 20.That way just lower the crosshair at 10, up a bit at 30.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

After multiple scope failures using brand name (Excalibur & TenPoint) crossbow scopes. I switched to a Leupold 2-7x shotgun scope this year.

It has a little parallax at my sight-in distance (25 yards), but I can hold 1" groups with it from a bench rest.
About 100 shots so far and it's still holding up fine.
If it continues to hold up I plan to send it to Leupold next spring and get the parallax adjusted to crossbow ranges.

With the variable power I've been able to adjust the power (2.5x with my Excal Phoenix) so the top & bottom duplex "posts" are good for 15 & 35 yard sighting.

So far this season 2 shots at deer with it and 2 clean one shot kills with good arrow placement (just where I wanted the arrow to go).
One at 17 yards using the top duplex to sight, and one at about 20 yards using the crosshair to sight.

BTW - I use a 25 yard sight in, so a "center of the kill zone" hold will keep the arrows in the vitals (+/- 3") from 0 - 30 yards with my bow.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:09 PM
Spike

Can someone help a rookie understand "Parallax"?
Old 10-31-2010, 02:29 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by soshock1
Can someone help a rookie understand "Parallax"?
Try this http://www.6mmbr.com/parallax.html
and the below is extracted from here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax

A simple everyday example of parallax can be seen in the dashboard of motor vehicles that use an older-style "needle" speedometer gauge. When viewed from directly in front, the speed may show exactly 60; but when viewed from the passenger seat the needle may appear to show a slightly different speed, due to the angle of viewing.

If you still don't get it let us know and I'm sure someone can make it clear.
The bottom line is that for our application there is no issue because we are close and use low magnification scopes. Keep your eye in the center and you'll be just as precise to the minute detail as some using a scope that has been parallax adjusted to 40 yards. Don't waste your money getting a rifle scope modified.

Last edited by Dnk; 10-31-2010 at 02:34 PM.