Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
New to crossbows feeling dumber than normal >

New to crossbows feeling dumber than normal

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

New to crossbows feeling dumber than normal

Old 09-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Spike

Default New to crossbows feeling dumber than normal

Ive never used a crossbow before but recently decided to take it up. I bought an entry level crossbow (Parker 150) from Bass Pro Shops. The salesman advised me that some hay bales would suffice for target practice. I tried this and lost the first one, its either inside the hay bale or on the way to the moon. I then went and bought a Bonecrusher target that is rated for crossbows up to 400 FPS. Now it stopped them however Im having trouble removing them. Is there a trick to this? I was shooting from approx. 50 yards out. Any positive advice would be appreciated. Trust me...I feel dumb enough already.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Spike

just take your time u get the hang of it i got mine last week a pass pro parker bushwaker150 it a geat crossbow. one thing though cant shoot to good free hand iam thinking of get a shoting stick or some kinda tripod mont for mine when i shot it there we did it on a shoting behnge it lot more acc . u get down oh pulling the bolts out take so elbow gress lol good luck and be safe
Old 09-19-2010, 02:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't shot the model bag you got so i don't know why its pulling hard. Never use straw or hay bales just asking fer trouble. I use a morrel crossbow yellow jacket bag target. Wally worlds yellow bag target is ok i have one of them. All my arrows pull easy. BH target Rhineheart 18-1 don't shoot bag targets with BH's. 90% of these sales clerks don't knowed nutten about CB's & most don't shoot one. Research online fer answers
Old 09-19-2010, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try spraying the arrow with Jig A Loo (from auto supply store) to keep it from sticking.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Spike

I bought a " SpyderWeb" brand target this summer and so far its the best target I`ve ever had, two finger arrow removal just like thier ad says.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Get yourself one of these from Danny Miller. Arrows come out of a foam target a whole lot easier. Arrow lubes like silicone, jigaloo, Woodys or Scorpion help a bunch too!

Old 10-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Spike

Here is what you need - $8 bucks from Dicks -

Last edited by CowboyHokie; 10-05-2010 at 09:29 AM. Reason: modify add pix