Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
lookin for some much needed help/advice >

lookin for some much needed help/advice

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

lookin for some much needed help/advice

Old 09-06-2010, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default lookin for some much needed help/advice

well i picked up a new bowhunting partner this year in my pop's.. he got himself a crossbow...i have no expirence with a crossbow an either does he..i tried shootin it for him an gettin it on spot.. but i cant.. im all over the freakin place.. get 2 close throw one right.. throw one left then right then one close... his crossbow is a barnet demon.. its def an older model..it does have a scope on it.. is it me or is there something you expirenced ppl might know that im NOT doin.. i checked over the bow an all bolts are tight, scope is tight.. any kind of advice of where to start would be much appreciated!!!
Old 09-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mark the center serving w/ white out on both sides of the rail while it's unc0cked. Check to make sure you c0ck it evenly.

If that doesn't help, try another scope if you have one. Next step, diff arrows.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MdDave
well i picked up a new bowhunting partner this year in my pop's.. he got himself a crossbow...i have no expirence with a crossbow an either does he..i tried shootin it for him an gettin it on spot.. but i cant.. im all over the freakin place.. get 2 close throw one right.. throw one left then right then one close... his crossbow is a barnet demon.. its def an older model..it does have a scope on it.. is it me or is there something you expirenced ppl might know that im NOT doin.. i checked over the bow an all bolts are tight, scope is tight.. any kind of advice of where to start would be much appreciated!!!
Assuming no mechanical problems, like loose stock bolts, bad or loose scope, cracked limbs, cams out of time, here are some possible issues.
1) Try using a rope ****er to **** the bow in order to uniformly center the string.
2) Check arrow for straightness if made of aluminum. Bent arrows don't fly consistently
3)The arrows should have high FOC (I prefer at least 16%) and, preferably, small vanes.
4) If using broadheads, try low profile 4-bladed ones, like Slick Tricks
5) Check the scope itself, loose reticule can drive you nuts. Best done by using a scope known to be ok or mechanical sights.