Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Arrow Question?

Old 09-04-2010, 04:15 AM
Spike

Default Arrow Question?

I'm really new to Xbows and my question was can my local archery shop check the shaft straightness of my aluminun arrow and at what point should I throw them away and get new ones?
Also can I have them install the small blazer type vanes and will they perform well? Should I switch to carbon type altogether?
It may sound like a stupid question but I really do not know.
dkight
Old 09-04-2010, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dkight
I'm really new to Xbows and my question was can my local archery shop check the shaft straightness of my aluminun arrow and at what point should I throw them away and get new ones?
Also can I have them install the small blazer type vanes and will they perform well? Should I switch to carbon type altogether?
It may sound like a stupid question but I really do not know.
dkight
First, welcome to the sport
1. You can check for straightness, just roll the arrow along a know flat surface with the vanes overhanging.
2. Any bend will cause the arrow to fly eradically.
3. Small vanes in themselves are not a salvation. IME, they work best on an arrow with high FOC (like 16-20%!) and a smallish 4 bladed broadhead.
4. I prefer carbons because they don't bend. Break, yes, but not bend. My personal recipe is: Gold Tip Lazer II shafts, 110 gr brass insert, aluminum nock and 2" Blazer of Fusion vanes. Resultant arrow weighs in at 305 grs, add a 100 gr tip and they have +18% FOC. Fly like darts.
BTW, try Slick Trick mags for fixed broadheads or NAP Spitfire Pro in mechanicals.
v
Old 09-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Spike

I use the same set up as Cossack with great results. The high foc really tightened up my groups.