Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
XBow - Feet Per Second vs. Kinetic Energy >

XBow - Feet Per Second vs. Kinetic Energy

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

XBow - Feet Per Second vs. Kinetic Energy

Old 08-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Spike

Default XBow - Feet Per Second vs. Kinetic Energy

First - assume both bows I will describe below is shooting the same weighted arrow.

Lets say two bows are shooting the same exact weighted arrow - one shoots it at 315fps and the other 345fps? Is it really that big of a difference?

Now lets change it up - what if the bow that is shooting at 315fps has a heavier grain bolt with more kinetic energy than the bow shooting the lighter arrow at 345fps. What would you prefer.

Here is the deal. I really liked the new Turbo XLT by Ten Point (this thing is really compact and feels great) but it is rated at 315fps with a 420gr bolt with a rating of 92 fp of kinetic energy. Just seems light to me compared to the others. There again I dont know much at this point. Your thoughts?
Old 08-26-2010, 05:54 PM
Spike

as with anything hunting it is shot( placment )yes it may be a little more but not so much to make a dead kill were you hit the game you are after makes it for a quick find or a long hunt just my ten cent ww.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Spike

It's more than enough kinetic energy to kill a deer. Just remember, dead is dead. There's no such thing as 'more dead'.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

The diff between the 345 & 315 is less rainbow with the faster, & as long as you keep company arow weight not a problem with pass-throughs. Now 2nd the faster one, reason its already has enuff KE. Example this past Feb. ishot a 100 lb hog with an arrow weighing 345 gr total & it was a pass-through. The hog i shot before that was with a 560 gr arrow out of same Bow, yup pass through but 215 gr heavier. Unless yer shooting big dangerous game fps is always better.Also my personal thing is an alum. rail no plastic/polymer that will wear -bow-melt when hot take odd sets. Knowed what i mean, & lifetime warranty or i don't laydown my hard earned cash!
Old 08-28-2010, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bonner1
First - assume both bows I will describe below is shooting the same weighted arrow.

Lets say two bows are shooting the same exact weighted arrow - one shoots it at 315fps and the other 345fps? Is it really that big of a difference?

Now lets change it up - what if the bow that is shooting at 315fps has a heavier grain bolt with more kinetic energy than the bow shooting the lighter arrow at 345fps. What would you prefer.

Here is the deal. I really liked the new Turbo XLT by Ten Point (this thing is really compact and feels great) but it is rated at 315fps with a 420gr bolt with a rating of 92 fp of kinetic energy. Just seems light to me compared to the others. There again I dont know much at this point. Your thoughts?
To answer your question.
Using a 420 gr arrow the arrow going 315 fps generates 92.56 KE
the one going 345 gets 111.03. That's at the 'muzzle.' Both will provide complete passthrough from reasonable angle/distance. You decide if it's important.