HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Compound vs Recurve Xbow (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/328514-compound-vs-recurve-xbow.html)

Bonner1 08-26-2010 03:27 PM

Compound vs Recurve Xbow

I have a question - I am going between a Ten Point and an Excalibur. I really love the feel of the Ten Point over the Excalibur. However, the main point that keeps getting in the way is worry about a string breaking. If I have an Excalibur I can replace the string in the field. If I have Ten Point I will need a bow press and god knows what else. How common are string breaks and is this a significant concern I should be having? Do they make inexpensive presses that I can carry to lease to use just in case (no I am not talking about carrying it in the woods:)) and is it very hard replacing the string on a compound xbow?

I know it only takes the string breaking once to ruin the hunt but I just dont want to be fretting over this possibility if it is extremely rare. The excaliburs are just so dang wide compared to - well, basically everything else.

Let me know what you think.

tkstae 08-26-2010 04:14 PM

I've been hunting with my Excaliber for 7 seasons. I had one string come apart when I was target shooting in the back yard, so that wasn't a problem to run inside and get a new string out of the bag. I nicked my string with my broadhead on a deer hunt way out in the middle of nowhere in Northern Missouri. That would have been the end of a very good hunt in the middle of the rut with a compound. It can happen. My Exocet is my never fail deer hunting weapon of choice. I've shot most of the others, and their all good. I hunt from tree stands so the size of the limbs don't cause me any problems. Best of luck to you this season whatever you decide.

wwranchdog 08-26-2010 05:45 PM

tenpoint makes a recurve gt flex a good x bow ww

Cossack 08-26-2010 06:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I shoot both, two recurves and a compound, make my own arrows, strings, strings jig, stretcher, even a substantial bow press (to service the compound). If it came to keeping just one, it'd be one of the the Excaliburs. It's one tough bow, easy to service, can be let down w/o having to shoot it, takes a Flemish string-which is both stronger and quieter, and can be serviced in the field with a simple stringer.
My Phoenix is the most accurate bow I've owned (5). It's fun shooting the speed bow, but I hunt under 40 yards and the Excalibur is all I need.

Phoenix, 50 yard group, elbow rested on deck rail, 1.5" dot.

ACPOSSETIM 08-26-2010 06:43 PM

String breakage is rare as long as you maintain them properly. They do make portable presses but I don't think they would work with a crossbow, maybe if you took the stock off they might but I'm not sure if that's the safest way to press one? Also if you are looking for a compact xbow, look at the TenPoint Turbo. It's only 13.5" axle to axle when ****ed!!! Also don't forget TenPoint also makes recurve models.

lemoyne 08-27-2010 05:49 PM

Well I have both now, but I did have the string half break on my 10 point before I got my Exocet. It was on a boar hunting trip away from home. I did have a spare string, I do not have a bow press as such. I have the winch downs in the back of my van for hauling the ATV all the time I took the winchdown and used it as a portable bow press and had it working in 10 minutes. I folded the strap stuck it through the gap below the eccentrics stuck the hook through the loop and hooked it over the strap that goes back to the winchdown, I did this on both sides and cranked it down till I had just enough slack to change the string.

Bonner1 08-29-2010 08:49 AM

Cossack,

That is one impressive group. I stopped by Cabela's (live 10 minutes away) and shot the Excalibur Equinox and it really grew on me. Seeing how narrow it is when ****ed helped ease width concerns a lot. Even though you are not shooting an Equinox and use your own custom arrows and strings, what type of arrow and broadhead do you recommend (I am planning on using flemish strings)? Also, what type of scope do you use? Again very impressive group. Thanks.

Bonner1 08-29-2010 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by lemoyne (Post 3671282)
Well I have both now, but I did have the string half break on my 10 point before I got my Exocet. It was on a boar hunting trip away from home. I did have a spare string, I do not have a bow press as such. I have the winch downs in the back of my van for hauling the ATV all the time I took the winchdown and used it as a portable bow press and had it working in 10 minutes. I folded the strap stuck it through the gap below the eccentrics stuck the hook through the loop and hooked it over the strap that goes back to the winchdown, I did this on both sides and cranked it down till I had just enough slack to change the string.

Lemoyne,

That was a great idea - ingenuity never ceases to amaze me when things are on the line. I am sure it is not the safest way but sure sounds like it is the next best thing to a press. I would love to see pics of how you did that (and if anyone else has discovered some other solutions). Thanks.