Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Newby looking for advice >

Newby looking for advice

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Newby looking for advice

Old 07-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Spike

Default Newby looking for advice

Guys,
looking at buying my 1st crossbow your thoughts?
Parker Tornado HP 165
Parker Buck Buster Recurve
Wicked Ridge Invader

Which one would you look at getting or any other thoughts?
Thanks Matt
Old 07-23-2010, 02:00 AM
Spike

Me personally ... I'd probably buy the Parker Tornado. A lot of guys have them and like them. I like the 330fps w/400gr arrow. My second choice would be the Invader. Top shelf quality and respectable 305fps velocity. I wouldn't bother with the Buck Buster as long as I was considering the Tornado. The standard reply to these "which bow" questions is: "Try to find a dealer where you can shoot all the bows you're considering." Pick the one that feels best to you ... or fits you best. Personally, I can adapt to whatever weapon you put in my hands so I buy more on quality, features & performance. (unless we're talking shotguns, in which case fit is paramount)
Old 07-23-2010, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ChavezYchavez
Guys,
looking at buying my 1st crossbow your thoughts?
Parker Tornado HP 165
Parker Buck Buster Recurve
Wicked Ridge Invader

Which one would you look at getting or any other thoughts?
Thanks Matt
If I were to have only one bow (no way) it would be the Excalibur Phoenix or Ibex. This bow is bulletproof. No cables, cams, slides to wear out. Relatively easy to ****. Can be un-****ed with a rope ****er. Easy on strings; can shoot a Flemish string which is stronger and has no end servings to maintain. Stings can be serviced without requiring a pro shop or press. It's accurate, durable and more than enough power for hunting deer. And, the bow is warrantied for it's lifetime...regardless who owns it. Not other co. offers that. Excalibur values customers and has a great support service..if you ever need it.
Have owned 5 bows, two Parkers and 3 Excals. Parker has good service but you have to go through a dealer. PITA if you didn't buy it there or he decides to send it on HIS schedule (as happened to me-3 weeks delay). By contrast, when my Excal scope malfunctioned and I needed one to hunt, I had another one in two (2!) days with just a phone call ...before I even returned mine. THAT'S customer appreciation.
But do yourself a favor, call Dave at Wyvern Creations. He'll answer your questions and make a recommendation based on what's right for you. 603-659-0575. Very knowledgeable and stands behind what he sells.

Last edited by Cossack; 07-24-2010 at 05:43 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:39 PM
Spike

Default Iron Duke and Cossack

gave some good advice.......have read posts by both on multiple forums....have come to know them as knowledgable and helpful. On a personal note, I own the Tornado and love it. Fast, accurate, well-balanced and fun to shoot. A call to David at Wyvern can help narrow your search. His customer service and knowledge are second to none. He's forgotten more about crossbows than I'll ever know. That being said, there's no substitute for actually getting to pick up (and hopefully shoot) as many crossbows as possible. Fit and feel are different for everyone.

I wish you the best of luck in your search.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Parker all the way!!!
Old 08-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Spike

To the orignal poster, what did you finally go with?
Old 08-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Spike

i was talking to my dad and he has a Parker Tornado and he loves it it is a very good X bow