Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Max distances

Old 07-14-2010, 03:20 AM
Spike

Default Max distances

All,

Thanks for answering all my newbie questions :-)
I have been practicing quite a bit with our new Vixen II xbow. Love it!

I am up to 125ft in practice shots and doing quite well ; always within 3 inches of center in the target. I am now wondering what is that maximum realistic distance to shoot/kill deer? Hunting season is quickly approaching and would like to get some idea on now much farther I could expect to shoot (and also to practice at)

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt with a vixen & have fer some yrs. They're very accurate but also on the slow side as its lower poundage. Imho you have reached the vixen's many other CB's max effective range of 40 yds. Too many variables can be present during a shot. So the shorter the range of game the better chance of killing shot!
Old 07-14-2010, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt with three bows, a lot. Last yr I passed on 18 targets within 30 yards. The deer I have shot were all within 20 yards. My shoot-to limit is 40 yards even though I practice out to 50. It's the HUNTING that's fun; killing is most anticlimactic. A crossbow gives you no advantage for distance than modern vertical bows ... one which is now advertised at 366 fps.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

My max would be 40 yards on a relaxed deer, ears pointed away and an away raking angle, preferably eating or busy with something like sniffing the ground, eating or drinking a beer.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:51 AM
Spike

Thanks for the input everyone; great forum! Much appreciated. I agree with the Max of 40 yards/+-125ft or ideally less. The arrow does seem to slow down/drop lots once I go over 110ft or so.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by GlouGlou
Thanks for the input everyone; great forum! Much appreciated. I agree with the Max of 40 yards/+-125ft or ideally less. The arrow does seem to slow down/drop lots once I go over 110ft or so.
Something that helps alot is a pro dot w/ three dots set for diferent distances. Also I use a bipod for the ultimate steady shots. I have killed deer at 45 yds with the bipod. Everone has a comfort zone for distance, its what works for you. As stated above, 40 yds is about max with most cross bows.

Good Hunting!
Old 07-17-2010, 03:14 AM
Spike

At 285fps & 325grain @ 58KE I, personally ... would keep my shots within 35 yards.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

40yd is max on a calm deer. I like to keep all my shots within 30. I have the KE to shoot farther but y risk wounding a deer to much can happen past 40yd.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Spike

I personally wouldn't try to take a kill shot over 40yds. But I do hit good groupings at 50yds but that's under contolled conditions. When I'm hunting I get all pumped up and adrenalin pumping and I like the 35 yds or less shots. Good Luck and Happy Hunting