Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Buying my first crossbow >

Buying my first crossbow

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Buying my first crossbow

Old 07-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Wub
Typical Buck

Default Buying my first crossbow

I decided to get a crossbow. I don't know anything about them so I was hoping to get some advice. I've been hunting with compound bows for a few years but I've never even shot a crossbow.

I'm hoping to keep within a budget of about $500 (for everything that I'll need). I'm totally open to buying used too.

Can you folks give me some ideas of what I should consider (make, model, etc...) What should I stay away from?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Wub
Typical Buck

Well, I'm thinking about a Horton Legend HD, or a Horton Team Realtree package. Dos anyone have anything good or bad to say about these?
Old 07-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Spike

Default take a look at

the entry-level bows from Parker...the Enforcer and Bushwhacker....or the two crossbows from Wicked Ridge (made by TenPoint)...the Warrior and the Invader....is you $500 budget just for the crossbow...or for everything - arrows, target, etc?
Old 07-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

I'm an Excalibur fan....lifetime warranty....easy to work on and you can restring in the field if necessary.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok lets do this like i am a shoe saleman, its all about comfort fer you. Call Wyvern Creations & talk about what you want. He is a great internet dealer
Old 07-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by briarpatch
the entry-level bows from Parker...the Enforcer and Bushwhacker....or the two crossbows from Wicked Ridge (made by TenPoint)...the Warrior and the Invader....is you $500 budget just for the crossbow...or for everything - arrows, target, etc?
Ten point is what I have been using for three years now and love everything about it. I agree with ya on the Wicked Ridge models you mentioned. Also you have to start somewhere and you can work up in a couple years. $500.00 should get you a good cross bow.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

I was in same situation,check out the Enforcer by Parker.
Thats what I got and dont regret it.$450.00 new,Comes with scope.160#.
I do recommend buying the excalibur rope ****ing aid.
IMO its the best strongest string ****en device out there.
Had the new parker roller aid and 1 of the plastic hooks that attach to string broke in 3 pulls.(resulting in a dryfire!had to replace x-bow)
Good thing cabelas has such a good return policy.
Try a couple out before u buy..See what feels steadier etc.to you.
(PS.B prepared for the noise factor!They make a snap sound they all do!!)
They r not as quiet as a compound.
Have fun...
Old 07-22-2010, 08:13 AM
Typical Buck

I started off six years ago with a Tenpoint Titan series xbow and killed quite a few deer with it. I let a guy at work convince me to buy the Barnett Predator for its speed factor and sold the Titan to a buddy of mine. The had to make the reseller buy back the Barnett as it kept blowing strings up in my face and I went and bougth the latest Tenpoint in the Titan series just six days before the season started and killed a nice eight pointer with it. For the money I would highly recommend a Tenpoint. They stand behind their product.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

That depends on what's important to you:
Compound or recurve? Compound is capable of most speed but also more difficult to maintain, e.g requires a bow press to change strings. Recurve, simpler, virtually indestructible, can be let down without having to shoot it, but is a bit wider.
Speed. Speed kills...both the game and targets, strings, limbs if you dryfire.
Warranty and customer support. Excalibur is tops. Lifetime warranty regardless who own the bow. Parker and Ten Point also know for customer support and lifetime warranty.
All the major players have entry level bows in your price range now. If recurve, I'd go with Excalibur. The 4-wheeler of crossbows. If compound Parker or Ten Point. Wicked Ridge bade by TP has generated buzz lately.
Do yourself a favor and call Dave at Wyvern Creations 603-659-05750. He sells bows but is very knowledgeable and will tell you what meets your needs from the answers you give.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Banned

Sinirsiz hizmet, yillik 120 TL den baslayan reseller hosting fiyatlari

http://www.onofis.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.