Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Process yourself or pay someone to do it? >

Process yourself or pay someone to do it?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Process yourself or pay someone to do it?

Old 05-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

As a former meat processor I say "Good for you guys" that do process your own. Before my accident I processed deer for our VA Hunters for the Hungry program as well as individuals.
It still amazes me how many of those that pay a processor to do their deer think they should get 2 big coolers full of meat from a deer that dressed 125 pounds.
I actually had several accuse me of stealing their meat.
They don't realize that a deer doesn't have much meat on it to begin with. Once you remove the hide, bones, fat, sinew and any boody meat from the shot area, there's just not a lot left. I see these articles by so called "deer processing experts" and they claim you can get over 50% of the dressed weight in edible meat.
BULL $#!&
On a clean head or neck shot deer you get 25-30% lean clean edible meat.
If you get more than that then I don't want you working up my deer.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Spike

I hope I didn't offend you as that was not my intent. The incident that I was referring to happened to a friend of mine several years back. He took a nice doe, field dressed out to a little over 130#. He got her during BP season with a nice boiler room shot. The entry and exit wounds were behind both shoulders in the lower chest area, perfect heart/lung shot. When he picked up his 3 little packages of meat from the processor he was told it was due to all of the damage to the backstraps and tenderlions from a "high spine hit". Processor ate good for a few days on that "damaged" meat I bet!
Old 05-04-2010, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

No offense taken.
I think hunters should learn how to process their own meat, to me it's an important link in the chain of the whole hunting experience.
On the other hand...
From a processors point of view I loved working up deer for others, it was the easiest money I ever made. I could have a deer skinned, quartered, deboned and ready for wrapping in about 40-45 minutes. At $50 a deer I made some good spending money.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Spike

Found this video series showing field dressing, skinning and quartering a deer. The dude gets kind of frisky with the knife around the gut area but its the best quality video I've seen so far.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did my 1st in 62 it was my 1st deer 4 pt. Have done close to 200 of them since then. As i get older my hands ache from arthur & cramp up in the damp n cold, i still do mine!
Old 09-24-2010, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've done hundreds - for myself and others. 90% of it is separating the large muscles from bone and trimming. If you can do that - the rest is easily learned.

My tips -

Never freeze meat with Sinew, silverskin, tendon or fat on the outside - always trim it before freezing.

Do not "wash your meat" before freezing. trim it clean with a knife.

If you don't have a place to keep a deer at the proper temp before processing - DONT AGE IT. If I ever feel I need to age the meat - I leave thaw it in the Fridge for about 5 days.

I like a filet knife after its boned out.

When trimming - "if in doubt - toss it" - this goes for bloodshot meat, bad cuts - end peices, etc. Nothing worse than opening up a package of clotted meat! That'll turn your family off to venison quick as anything!

FH
Old 09-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Spike

I process my own as well as all my family's and usually around 25 for other people who just don't have the time or skills.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Spike

Hunting has been in my Family as far back as i Can trace and so has Butchering including
Beef, Pork,Goat, and all wild game. To me its an important part of Hunting you cant complain if you do it yourself.